Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Half day free before flight from Catania- what to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We shall be in Siracusa for 3 and a half days. We plan to spend one day visiting Sircausa, one day to Noto, one day to Modica.
Then, we have the flight from Catania airport (to Malta) at 17:00 in afternoon. How do you recommend to sped this half day? We travel by bus / train.
We have luggage and I do not know if we can leave them in airport in the morning , to be free then to visit something.

In a half day, what do you think that is better to visit, Catania or Acireale?
Is the Cyclops Promenade in Acireale , or we have to take a taxi / bus from the centre of Acireale to there?
We are interested in architecture, history, views. Is another place to be visited in half day?
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Any advices?
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM

I hope I am remembering correctly.
Acireale really has nothing much to see. But since your time is short, I would recommend going to a pastry shop and enjoying some sumptious cannoli with freshly prepared filling.
Then a great flavorful gelato!
How about some lemoncello.
That reminds me I bought some very, very light and tasty lemon cookies and carried them all the way to the US fearing I would get crumbles when I reach home. But they were packed so beautifully in a very pretty box that not one was broker. I cherished each one with my cup of tea for a few weeks.
Or, if you are not interested in eating, I would go and shop for some more tiny pieces of ceramics.
Sicily is such a beautiful place. The ruins, the history and daily atmosphere--all so memorable.
I am envious of you as we had a great time there a few years ago.
Do write back and share what you decided to do and also a little trip report.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ileen. For sure I'll write a report!
I am thinking of visiting Catania in this last half day in Sicilia.
I have to speak with my friends also (as we are two families who travel together).
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM

The bus from Siracusa to the Catania airport is about 1 hr and 15 mins. I don't know how much luggage you have, but if you leave it at left luggage at the airport, you will then have to take a cab or bus into Catania, then a cab or bus back to the airport in time to catch your flight. Maybe you should just sleep in a bit, then have a relaxing morning in Siracusa. There really isn't that much to see in Catania. Check bus timetable at www.interbus.it