Hairdryers

Apr 21st, 2000, 07:26 AM
Joan

Hairdryers

Do most of the hotels have hairdryers to borrow? I have read many negatives about using converters--still have problems getting them to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Apr 21st, 2000, 07:32 AM
June

Joan---the hotels I've stayed at in London had hairdryers. You can ask when making reservations and some guides indicate whether they have them.

Apr 21st, 2000, 07:36 AM
kam

Hi Joan, You don't say hotels where, but assuming a fairly large hotel in Europe, they probably have dryers to borrow, if other guests aren't using them. I have a very small dual-voltage dryer that you just click over to 240 V. and use a converter plug to plug into European outlets (these vary country to country as well) I've never had a problem with it, but generally it will run at only the low wattage setting so takes longer to get the job done. That way I use a dryer if provided by hotel but have mine as a backup. Converters are heavy, expensive and I never feel I can trust them. Friend of mine actually melted her hair onto the brush in Acapulco once!

Apr 21st, 2000, 02:17 PM
Marty

In November on a trip to Paris, I borrowed a European hairdryer from a friend who lived in Germany for a while.
I've been to Europe many times and this was my best hairdryer solution ever. I hate those converter/adaptors; they slow my hair dryer (which can only start at 1600 anyway) to the point of being useless. Plus they get too hot and have to be "rested", and I usually have to hold them into the outlet with my foot. I have solved the problem. Go to www.houseof220.com. It is a Canadian company that sells honest to goodness European hairdryers! I lost part of my old converter set, so I was going to have to buy a new one anyway. I bought a hairdryer that will just plug in and go for about the same cost as the adaptor set, AND it is 1800 watts!! Of course, it is a "pig in a poke"; I won't know if it works until I get there, but I suspect it will. I am very happy with it. I think with UPS, it was $22. If you are going to Great Britain, you will still need a plug adaptor, but no converter.

Apr 21st, 2000, 03:54 PM
Paula

Anyone know how much it would cost to purchase a cheap hairdryer in Paris?

To answer your question, our four-star hotel in Paris had a hair dryer. (I asked in advance.) It was a little retro-looking and weak, but it did the job. And surprisingly, although they had the hair dryer and many other amenities, they did not have an iron to lend guests. They said it was a fire hazzard. To have the hotel staff iron one shirt was $10. So we ended up borrowing an iron from a friend who lives there. Happy travels!

Apr 21st, 2000, 04:20 PM
kam

Another caveat---when we visit friends in London who live in a beautiful old home in Twickenham, they have an old fashioned type plug that I have had to buy in the UK so I can use my hairdryer at their house as well as in some of the older hotels of UK. Life's uncertain--be adaptable (literally?) and think ponytail!

Apr 21st, 2000, 05:27 PM
Tracy

I've been to Europe many times, and just returned from Italy. Most hotels have hair dryers, but they are very low power. Let your hair air dry and use the blowdryer to style and you'll be fine.

Apr 21st, 2000, 06:24 PM
Joan

Thanks for all the ideas. Does anyone know what a hairdryer costs to buy in Great Britain? Also, Marty, when will you know if it works? When are you going? Maybe you could email me and let me know. We're not going till 6/15

Apr 21st, 2000, 06:33 PM
Bob Brown

I just asked my wife if she could use her hair dryer with my converter kit in Switzerland. She said "Yes". In fact she reminded me that she used it for two weeks when we were there in '98.
Same kit, same dryer. And no melted plastic.

Apr 21st, 2000, 06:35 PM
Mary

You don't understand! I had my hair straightened before I went to Italy I was so paranoid about the hairdryer situation.

Each resort we stayed in had a hair dryer. I confirmed this by e-mail with each resort! Not packing one was bliss.

The only problem happened the day of a thunderstorm (Sunday) No one was around to fix the power outage we had. Went with hair half dry and was okay with it.

If your are interested, only go to a good Salon to get this done - they do it right and it's worth it!

Italy was bliss this way! Would reccommend it although others without hair issues would probably balk!

Enjoy!

Apr 22nd, 2000, 06:14 AM
merriem

My cheap hairdryer that I use all the time has dual voltage. I also have a bag of converters and plugs that go with me. I really like my own dryer better, because most of the hotels only have dryers with one speed. HOT and FAST

Apr 22nd, 2000, 12:43 PM
marty

Joan: Sorry, we won't be back from Italy until June 15! It is a Remington hairdryer, so I am sure it will be fine. There were several choices and most were brand names. I only wish I could air dry as someone suggested! Unfortunately, I was "blessed" with curly, frizzy, thick hair that would be wet 24 hours later, if I tried to let it air dry. With all the comments about trying to blend in and not look like a tourist, it is a little hard when your hair is wet or obviously not normal! The whole hair dryer, converter, adaptor question is definitely for a few people who know the horrors of being without an appropriate one. My husband couldn't care less. The hotel "powder puff" hairdryers work fine for him. I only wish....

May 5th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Ken

RE: Marty's message on the 220v website, I emailed several times with no response. I called the toll free number in Toronto and the person who answered the phone said the website hadn't been updated in a long time and none of the dryers lists was available. He said he had only one dual voltage dryer and promised to send me info so I could order. That was over two weeks ago and nothing. So I wouldn't rely on that website. I think we'll just get one in the UK when we get there.

May 5th, 2000, 12:43 PM
martha

Just came back from two weeks in Spain and only one hotel had a hairdryer, and it would have taken me two hours to dry my hair had I used it. Good luck. If you have to have one, buy one when you arrive.

May 5th, 2000, 01:18 PM
marty

I'm sure what the problem must have been with Ken's call, but I just called Houseof220 (1-800-461-8942) to see if they still have hairdryers. He said that while they don't have all the ones on the website, they still have 220v, not just dual volt, hairdryers. I ordered mine just a few weeks ago, so I know they had plenty then, because I had a choice. Maybe, if anyone is interested, you should try at different times of day to get a more helpful phone person.