hairdryer

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:16 AM
jg

hairdryer

can I still use my American hairdryer and curling iron in German hotels? I read where someone brought their's and had an adaptor but it still blew out the fuse and ruined their hairdryer.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:24 AM
Therese

You have to make sure you flip the switch on the hairdryer (from what to what I can't remember, but there's only one option---it usually requires that you use a screwdriver or something similar to do it, so take care of this before you leave home)---just using the adapter is not sufficient. And some appliances don't offer this option, so make sure yours does.

I can only use my hairdryer set to "low" when I'm in Europe, and even then it runs very high (so my hair is very straight indeed).

But before I bothered to bring a hairdryer I'd check to see if the hotel already has one. Lots of place include them now.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:29 AM
Sue

Sometimes the hairdryers are really lame. If you really need the drying power, bring your own and be sure to switch the appliance as Therese suggested.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:33 AM
janis

As long as your dryer is DUAL VOLTAGE, all you need is the adaptor plug. And use it on low power. But the majority of hair dryers sold in the US are not dual voltage. Check yours - it will have an obvious small switch. If yours is not dual voltage - either buy a new one, or buy an inexpensive one in Germany.

As for the curling iron - again few are dual voltage. It doesn't make much sense to invest in an expensive dual voltage one here - just buy an inexpensive one in Germany. You can bring it home if you plan on travelling to Europe again - or leave it behind if this is a "one and only" trip. Basic curling irons are so cheap (everywhere) that I never bother with packing a dual voltage one and adaptor plug.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:43 AM
Therese

On the other hand, if you need low power then you'll either want the wimpy one offered by the hotel, or to buy one while you're there. My hair is naturally curly, so if I want to wear it that way I don't need a wind tunnel, just enough air to make it fluffy.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:50 AM
Dawn

I used by hairdryer on a trip to Austria last year and had no problems. My hair dryer is not dual voltage, and therefore, I had to use not only my adapter but also my converter. The converter should have two settings (low and high). It is used on low for things like men's electric shavers and high for curling irons and hairdryer.

I never adjusted anything on my hairdryer. I just used the converter.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:38 PM
Wilma

uhhhhh, been there, done that! I wasted the better part of a day looking for a curling iron in Munich! I occasionally found the ones with very small barrels, but next to impossible to find a curling iron with 1" or larger barrel. I found lots and lots of the blow dryer - brush combinations, which I eventually bought and taught myself to use.

In other words, if you need a curling iron with large barrel, bring your own (dual voltage).

don't bring a hair dryer. almost all the hotels have them, and if not you can buy one.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:45 PM
Deb

JG, Most hotels have one but it is true that they don't have much power. I bought one in Paris a couple of years ago and since most of the world is on 220V I have had many opportunities to use it again. It was $10 well spent.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:13 AM
Chris

Got my dual voltage curling iron and hair dryer at Walmart -- about $15 each, if I remember correctly. The dryer has a switch, the curling iron doesn't (it just "knows"). All you need is the converter. And they've become my "travel set" -- I leave them in my suitcase.

Be careful of buying electronics in Europe -- the prices can be MUCH higher than in the states.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
amy

JG: If you have hair like mine--needs round brush/hair gel/dryer to look halfway decent--then don't count on the European hairdryers in hotels. Most are wall attachments with a flexible tube (like a vacuum) that blows a light stream of air onto the hair. It's not very effective. The electric outlets in the bathrooms tend to read "for shavers only." Sometimes those plugs are specifically designed to prevent attaching a converter/hairdryer.

So I bring my dual voltage hairdryer and hook it up to some outlet in the actual room (they always need one for the vacuum!). As other posters have indicated, your hairdryer will then only be set to operate on "low," but because of the current, will be quite "high." In fact, when you get back to the States, the "high" will seem wimpy to you.

As to hair curlers, the obvious solution would have been those propane tube ones (they take up no room and work great!), but I haven't been through security with one lately.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:08 AM
Ron

My wife uses a chordless curling iron that runs on butane.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Sandra

Dear jg,

the best bet, I think, is to go a travel or specialty store like Brookstone or Sharper Image and invest in a good quality plug/converter set, which will come with a multitude of plugs (and a little reference list telling you which countries each works best for) and a converter (which you would use if your appliances don't have a dual switch). these kits usually come in little drawstring pouches that are easy to pack, and when you travel, since you have a list of what plugs work in what country you are headed off to, you only bring the ones you think you'll need, further lightening your load and giving you the versatility and the peace of mind to know you'll always have a hair dryer or curling iron at your disposal, without having to rely on the ones provided by your hotel (if any)...

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:25 AM
janis

Butane tanks are not allowed - they never were allowed on aircraft but now they are actually enforcing it.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:00 PM
amy

Thanks for the update, Janis. Was just debating whether to keep my hair longer or get it cut before our trip next week.

Made hair appointment right after your butane security update.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:19 PM
john

This question or something related comes up every month or so on this forum. My page at
www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/11-301.htm should help.