Search

hair cut

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Vicky

hair cut

I will be in Paris in one week and have heard it it a wonderful place to get your hair cut. Can anyone give me a suggestion on where to go? I do not speak French.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:18 AM
btilke

First off, don't go to the top places like Alexandre. They'll know you won't be a regular customer and the service you get will be perfunctory and not worth the price. I often get my hair cut at the Mod Hair on the Ave. Victor Hugo not too far down from the Place Victor Hugo. <BR>However, I find that many of stylists do not speak much English. You might have better luck sticking to a stylist in the most popular tourist areas, i.e., the 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th arrond. <BR>The Jean Claude Biguine chains do a pretty good job. They are everywhere. Haircuts cost somewhere around $40. Rates at many salons are lower Monday through Thursday. <BR>You can always check with the front desk people at your hotel. They may be able to recommend someone close by. <BR>Note: For the blow dry, the stylist may ask you if you want your hair styled "interieur" of "exterieur". Interieur means styled under; exterieur means styled over. <BR>BTilke

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:27 PM
Paula

I have heard that the best places to go are the large department stores. Many of the stylists speak English.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 08:46 PM
Prue

I also think using large department store hairstylists is a good idea - not only are they likely to speak or understand some English - they are also used to doing a more diverse range of styles, since a lot of their customers are 'blow-ins' such as tourists.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 03:00 AM
Stephanie

I have had horrible experiences with hairdressers here. After 3 bad cuts, I decided to call a truce, started to grow it out and go to my daughters hairdresser: Au Pays d'Oscar on rue Vavin by Parc Luxemburg (use Simon or David). They do a great job, in a lovely neighborhood and I haven't had a problem since. For all major cuts and highlights, I simply wait for my regular hairdresser in the U.S.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 05:47 AM
Betsy

There was a thread on this subject several months ago, so you might get additional info if you do a search. <BR> <BR>Stephanie, how much do you pay for a cut and blow dry at Pays d'Oscar?

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:44 AM
sandra

well i have just returned from a month in europe and went over truly the ugly american( hair wise ) I went to Jean Louis David, the location off the champs de lysee. I now look spectacular. they speak some english, are world renowned and post there prices in the window. Also they have a wonderful colorist Muriel she is the best. They stylist took my mess and m,y mothers and updated us . <BR> there are a few locations in paris as well as new york ( yeah for me ) , london and do many make overs on tv shows here in the states.

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Stephanie

Betsy: I think it's 210 ff and I get a barbapapa (cotton candy)too!!

Old May 13th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Betsy

Thanks, Steph!

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Alice

I lived in France for two years and used several hairdressers. Incredibly good. Very skilled. I would say that one could walk into just about any hairdresser and expect the same. There is nothing like it that I've ever experienced in the States. Language might be a problem, but I think if you have a photo of what you want you would do okay.