Haarlem hotel advice

Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Cindy

Haarlem hotel advice

Does anyone have an opinion about the Carlton Square Hotel in Haarlem?

Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:14 PM
John

I've had brunch there. The ground floor facilities would remind you of a Holiday Inn, more or less. The location is not bad, a quiet area just outside the center of town on the south side. It's probably a 5 minute walk to the Frans Hals Museum, 10-15 minutes to the Grote Markt (town square), and another few minutes to the Tylers Museum. Post again or send an email if you would like more info on the city; I lived on the Spaarne facing the counter weighted lift bridge just north of the Tylers.

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Cindy

Thank you, John. I am only considering the Carlton Square because I got an excellent rate there. I am also looking at the Inntel Zaandam. Do you know anything about that hotel or staying in that area vs. Haarlem? Thanks.

Mar 5th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Jogn

Near Zaandam is De Zaanse Schans, a place where you can spend a fascinating half day. I recommend it highly. Climb around inside the operating windmill named De Kat, and then watch them make wooden shoes in another building. Other than that, Zaandam is known for Peter the Great according to the guidebooks. Michelin calls it an "industrial town on the Zaan" river. I can't recall being there.

I think Haarlem is a great choice for sights, dining, and night life, and very friendly people. You'll have fun whether you like it or not. Also, an upper floor room in the Carlton facing north should give you a good view over Haarlem.

Mar 5th, 2002, 08:21 PM
cindy

Thanks!