Search

Gypsy woman in the 18th Arr. (Paris)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gypsy woman in the 18th Arr. (Paris)

Kerouac
Due to the news re the deportation of Roma from France, I wondered if 'your friend with baby' is still outside your building. I have enjoyed your comments and pictures of her. Thanks, CJ
I posted this in the Lounge but it was suggested I might find you here. CJ
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, she is still in front of my building, and her mother (grandmother?) is still in front of the McDonald's. However, her husband went back to Romania briefly (probably with the French payment), which is why she asked me for a photo session ahead of time. I took numerous photos of her and her child, printed them up on photo paper and gave them to her for distribution (about 6 copies of each photo). Life goes on. For those who are wondering, I don't think that this woman would ever steal, and twice she has given me (small) gifts of appreciation for the attention that I give her.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the update. I know it is strange that I would be interested but I am. That is what happens when you put a face on a story, I guess. Keep on clicking! CJ
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
kerouac - you are in good company with Alan Bennett, I believe.

though his indigent lady ended up living in his house, more or less.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM

Kerouac, curiosity got the best of me and I clicked on your name and found the board where you posted the photos of the young lady in question. I'm like awww, she is beautiful and but a baby herself. I'm relieved she soon left her baby home and out of the cold. Also, I think you have a very kind heart and it was nice of you to take her photo, which by the way is excellent art by you. Would like to know if you don't mind my asking if your photography is hobby or profession? Thanks
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM

Kerouac,

Could you post the link on this thread, I clicked on your name but I did not see it? Thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 11:19 PM

Some of the photos are in "reply #27" here:
http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...ay&thread=2710
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 04:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, we do want to see the picture of the two of you.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 06:14 AM

Great story. It's nice to actually have a heart occasionally.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks kerouac. She is very pretty. Yes we do want to see the picture of the two of you. Please .

I wish I could help her.

Carol, thank you for posting about kerouac and this young woman.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM

Pictures of kerouac are hard to come by.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM

We tried Nikki.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM

I saw a photo of Kerouac on a Danish blog once.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 02:29 PM

The *gypsy* woman gives me some doubts. She is not dressed gypsy and does not have the facial features of gypsies I have encountered. Gypsies will do anything to avoid having their pictures taken. This show-off does not. Gypsy women always hang out in packs. She looks more like a North African, probably Algerian or Tunisian.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM

Oh she is definitely a gypsy. Look at her in reply #15 in the same link. She is from Romania.

You certainly have a blanket vision of gypsies, spaarne. She <b>does</b> however work with other friends and family. Her mother/grandmother is in front of McDonald's half a block away and another friend/sister (?) is across the street in front of the BNP. It would not be safe for them to work all alone.

People who live in Paris often do not want strangers to take their photos. I am not a stranger to her, because she has been in front of my door for 3 years, and her mother was in front of my door for 2 years before that, and we still chat whenever I pass in front of McDonald's. They also know that I will not give either of them a coin more than once a week, but that sometimes it will be a luncheon voucher or a 5-euro note. Before they were there, I had a one-legged Polish beggar on that spot for 3 years. He would not hesitate to ask me to bring down a can of Coke when it was hot in the summer, and I was happy to do so. It is an extremely popular spot, because at 4 pm precisely, it is turned over to Bangladeshis who sell pirate DVD's and almost spoiled fruit until 9 pm.

People visiting Paris might think that this "alternate economy" is completely fly-by-night, but those of us who live here know all of these people perfectly well since they are fixtures of our neighborhood. We interact with some of them and ignore others, just like we do with the shopkeepers.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:53 AM

Who really cares what her nationality or story for that matter is? Bottom line, she is a person, a human being...Thanks again Kerouac for your acts of kindness. None of us knows when we or our children will need a drink of water...
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM

I am not a saint by any means, and I am just as annoyed at gypsies and beggars bothering me as anybody else. However, I just wanted to show that these are indeed real people and if you have any "regulars" in your area, please take a second look at them. A lot of them are worthwhile human beings, even if you disapprove of their profession.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM

kerouac,

You have me LOL.

<i>You certainly have a blanket vision of gypsies, spaarne. She does however work with other friends and family. Her mother/grandmother is in front of McDonald's half a block away and another friend/sister (?) is across the street in front of the BNP. It would not be safe for them to work all alone.</i>

Blanket vision? I've encountered gypsies throughout Europe. The typical gypsy pack looks like the gang hanging out in front of Gare du Nord. Go have a look. Put a picture of that scene on your web page.

Work? AYKM. Gypsies are professional beggars. Being with a child increases their marketability, though this child is far too well dressed for the sympathy that mom needs. If you and others did not donate they would look for handouts somewhere else. Some gypsies are professional pickpockets. If they were at my front door I would call the police.

<i> A lot of them are worthwhile human beings, even if you disapprove of their profession.</i>
Human beings, yes. Worthwhile, definitely not. Why don't you give the woman a broom next time and tell her to sweep the street before you pay her?

Well, it's your money. You can burn it as you like.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM

You have a very bitter vision the world, spaarne. I am glad that I do not have the same one. You are entitled to despise beggars, but it is indeed a "job" that has existed for thousands of years, whether or not you think it is appropriate. I personally do not think that it is a very good job, but I find it far superior to stealing.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM

There are a number of photos of Kerouac in "I celebrate myself" by Wm. Morgan - a 600 pg book on Allen Ginsberg. According to that book, Kerouac's life was the definition of misery and a wasted life. He died young of alcoholism after a life of drunkeness. Admittedly, many of the talents we most admire are often not exactly model citizens. Ginsberg himself was goofy as goofy gets. No matter what his poetic talents were, it is nearly impossible to understand how such a genuine reprobate & loser ever became a celebrity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -