Reload this Page >

Gym in Florence and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Will

I'll be spending a total of 8 days between Florence and Venice this October. Anybody know of any gyms in those cities (with basic treadmills for running and exercise weights) that can accomodate short-term daily usage, probably for some daily fee? Thanks.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Will

Anybody?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Santa Chiara

When you get to these towns, look in the yellow pages under "palestra" or ask your hotel for help. Gyms are not nearly as ubiquitous in the U.S., but you should be able to find one.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Santa Chiara

Will, it is me again. I had written another paragraph, but it didn't get posted. Anyway, try www.englishyellowpages.it. It doesn't have a section for Venice but it does for Florence. Anyway, look under "health clubs." Ostensibly, listing in this publication means some or most of the staff speak English, but this is not always the case.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:04 AM
Julie

I copied the following from Time Out Venice since a friend of mine who lives there had mentioned it. It might be worth a try: <BR> <BR>Fitness Point - If the 328 bridges and prohibitive cost of taxis do not provide sufficient exercise during your stay in Venice, jog along to the Fitness Point gymnasium where a daily rate of L.20,000 grants you full access to a range of cardio-fitness machines, step aerobics classes, bodysculpting workshops, and a number of other sweat-inducing activities. Visitors can also top up their tans in the new solarium. Alternatively you could just eat an ice cream and remember you are on holiday... 8am-10pm Mon-Fri, 8am-3pm Sat, 9.30am-12.30pm Sun, Calle Pestrin, Castello 6141 (041 520 9246). Vaporetto San Zaccaria <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:29 AM
Amy

Will: <BR> <BR>Great question. I will be traveling to those cities in September and was looking as well. If you find one in Florence, please post it. <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:41 AM
Had

You are going to be spending time in 2 of the most beautiful walking cities in the world and you want to spend time in a GYM? I have to ask why? I'm sure you must be kidding.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:46 AM
Nutella

To Had, <BR>As someone who goes to the gym regularly, maybe I can explain. Even walking all day through Florence or the hills of Tuscany is not the same as a structured, steady workout at the gym. I have a certain routine I follow, a certain pace, and have to keep up the pace for a specific amt of time. Also, if you do weight resistence training, that cant be replicated outdoors. Maintaining a regular workout while on vacation may seem "non-vacationlike" to some, but I think its good mentally as well as physically. So I can appreciate what you said about walking all day, but please appreciate the need for a structured workout as well. Thanks.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:53 AM
Santa Chiara

Couldn't have said it better myself, Nutella. Now, if more hotels in Europe would either provide gyms or access to one in the vicinity, I would be truly happy.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:00 AM
Grace

I too would very much appreciate anyone's insights regarding where to get regular workouts. Please - like some need their coffee in the a.m., others like myself "need" weight-lifting & cardiovascular routine even while staying in Florence & Rome.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:24 AM
Will

Thanks, everybody, for your tips/responses. I'll look them up, hopefully find a good gym, and, perhaps, be able to contribute when this topic comes up again.