Guimarães pousada

Search

Guimarães pousada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guimarães pousada question

Can anyone clarify whether the Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães is the same as Pousada de Santa Marinha? When I do a search, they both come up. The names are linked in some searches but not others. if It’s not at all clear to me whether they are one and the same or 2 different entities. I’d really appreciate it if someone would set me straight!

Last edited by progol; Feb 7th, 2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 12:56 PM

Hi
Everything is part of the same religious complex that has been converted into a pousada.
Mosteiro de Santa Marinha da Costa was a monastery (men).
Convento de Santa Marinha da Costa was a convent ( women).
There is also a church Igreja Santa Marinha da Costa and a cemetery ( to the left when facing the church).
The place you want to stay is Pousada Mosteiro Guimaraes.
https://www.pousadas.pt/en/hotel/pousada-guimaraes
Keep in mind that this is not in town.
Happy travels
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, aulop. I’ve got a reservation there and understand that it’s not in town, though I see on another thread that it’s a long walk from the pousada to the town, but the grounds are lovely and it’s an interesting experience. Always a tossup whether to stay in town or in an interesting place outside. Is the pousada experience “worth it”?

I’m going to rethink this and see if we’d rather be in town vs being in a pousada.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 12:08 PM

progol,
For me, staying at the Pousada was worth it for the history and also for the views overlooking the city. We arrived by car so it was easy to park for free. It's not often that one gets to stay in a 12th century convent.
While we had one of the smallest rooms, at the end of our hallway we had an. enormous stone terrace all to ourselves. For more space, I'd book the superior deluxe double (23 square meters).
We walked into town but took a taxi back up in the evening. Taxis are inexpensive.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I’m getting excited! We’ll be in this Pousada and the Paradore in Hondarribia! Should be an interesting trip!