guided tour or self...and itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2024, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in Barcelona from Madrid early evening April 29th (Splurging to stay at the W, although I am wondering if we should stay somewhere more central for first two nights). If we keep entire 5 night rez at W then that first night will probably walk in the Barcelonata area and find a good seafood restaurant close to beach/hotel (recommendations? and curious if can sole really serves the best paella in the city?).
April 30th: city bike tour booked from 10-1pm (this covers many sites, exterior, no entry (place sant jaume, placa del rei, la catedral, Palau de la musica catalana, parc de la ciutadella, arc de Triomf, monumental). In the afternoon I think we will wander along las Ramblas, Bouqeria market, casa bottlo and mila and gothic quarter if we can fit it all in.
May1: Montserrat. I am disappointed that the calendar is full and we cannot listen to the boys choir. Do you think tour groups have taken up tickets and that if I booked a tour that would allow us access? Do any tours include access to the 1pm choir? I can't seem to find any (and am not usually a fan of being herded around on a bus and large group but would join one if worth it). If not, then is Montserrat a destination that we can easily take a train to ourselves from Barcelona and wander on our own using the audio guide? Do you recommend taking the cable car or cog wheel to the top?
May 2nd: Familia Sagrada and Park Guell- again are these spots that we can easily listen to an audio guide for self tour or do you recommend a booked guided tour and which one? Is the added tower visit worth it or does scaffolding cover the views? What part of the day do you recommend visiting these spots to avoid throngs of tourists if possible? (we have a lunch rez at Canete, 3:30pm)
May 3: day trip to Girona by high speed train to explore on our own.
May 4: will say goodbye to our son as he continues travel on his own to other countries and hubby and I will rent a car and head to Costa Brava for four nights to explore the areas of pals, peratallada, hike cami de ronda trail etc and will be stationed in Begur at hotel aiguablava based on recommendations from here (also looking for lunch/dinner restaurant recommendations).
We are an active family of 3 (myself, hubby and 21 year old son). Need some ideas of things to do in the evenings in Barcelona... flamenco show, cooking class, food tour etc... unfortunately the Montjuic magic fountain is closed down but may consider taking the cable car up to top to take in the views/sunset etc.
Appreciate any suggestions!
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been a few years but we enjoyed our guided tour (by a guide) of Sagrada Familia and thought it added to our enjoyment of the building. We did not go up the towers as I was in a walking boot. I would try to book an early tour, if possible, as this is a very popular sight. We did Park Guell on our own, which seemed adequate, but had read about what to see in a guidebook.