Search

Guided Group Tours from Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guided Group Tours from Rome

Hi All,
I previously posted looking for recommendations of companies that do private tours for my mom & I from Rome to places like Orvieto or Assisi and while I got great responses I soon discovered that the price tag is way more than I can afford. So plan B is to find a good tour outfit that does day trips from Rome in smallish groups. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Many thanks.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Try RoninRome.com
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM

My best suggestion is to just go there by train and tour for yourself! So much to see!
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can easily visit Orvieto on your own. A train from Rome to Orvieto takes about an hour (7-13€ depending on type of train). The 7€ train takes about 15-20 minutes longer than the 13€ train. At the train station, just cross the street and buy a ticket for the funicular which takes you up to the hill town. You can buy the ticket (about .75-.90€)for the funicular only or funicular + bus (about.25€ more) which you catch at the top of the hill after you get off the funicular (or you can walk). You can take an underground tour of Orvieto (tickets purchased on the main piazza across from the Duomo). Check times for the English tours.
http://www.orvietounderground.it/

Visit the Duomo, wander the town, have a nice lunch. The funicular closes about 8:30 pm so you will want to head back to the train station by then. Trains run at least hourly (sometimes two per hour) with the last return to Rome at 11:30 pm.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Awesome - we'll take the train. Thanks so much!
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM

I just got back from my honeymoon where I spent 4 days in Rome. There is a company called Context Travel that I was referred to by a friend. They hire professors, scholars, doctorates, etc as tour guides and do small groups (I think 8 is their biggest group but check the site). It was OUTSTANDING and the highlight of our trip (we did the Roman Antica tour). You’re not getting a professional docent with their generic speech and jokes. Your getting a person whose life study revolves around that specific tour (our guide was completing her doctorate in Roman Archeology from the University of Penn. She was also from Rome) and has so much more interesting information than just the generic talk a lot of the other tour companies give you.
The website is http://www.contexttravel.com/home/.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM

www.walksofitaly.com offers small group tours and private tours with phenomenal guides! very much like what keithman says context travel does)

Train is definitely the cheapest and most practical way to go to Orvieto!

To save money, another "Guide option" would be to find a guide on the portal of the "Provincia di Roma" (there is the list of ALL Rome licensed guides) and pay the guide directly - licensed guides in Rome cost about 40 euro / hour - the only problem is finding a Good guide! unfortunately many licensed guides are terrible, so you will need to dedicate time to do a bit of research and call a few people.