Guide to Campgrounds in France circa 1971

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2020, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, can anyone recommend a guide to campgrounds in France in 1970/1971? I'm trying to get a sense of popular campsites and their amenities, and I need a publication that would have been used by Americans. If anyone has one, an image of a page would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 02:03 PM

My impression is that so few Americans would have camped in France at that time that they would be a statistical blip.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 03:11 PM

We met lots of Americans in campgrounds all over western Europe, not just in France. Campgrounds were everywhere so no need for a guidebook.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Coquelicot
We met lots of Americans in campgrounds all over western Europe, not just in France. Campgrounds were everywhere so no need for a guidebook.
when?
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 07:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The only lists / guidebooks in the US to camping in France/elsewhere in Europe back then would have been geared to college kids and not mainstream books like Europe on $5 a Day which targeted middle class/conventional travelers. Most likely semi-counter culture/hippie-ish newsletters on campuses. Now -- there probably would have been books published in France and the UK for family camping trips . . . but definitely not books published in the States for general consumption.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 07:35 PM

Michael, 1969 and 1970.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 11:11 PM

My family did some camping in France (and Europe) in 1972 when I was 14 years old. My memories are fuzzy but I believe my parents had a listing of some campgrounds from a camping organization that didn't contain many details about the various sites. We often drove into a city or town and simply followed signs for campgrounds. I believe the signs were green and displayed a tent.

I remember we stayed in a campground in the Bois du Bologne. There was a central shower area and a shuttle that made runs to the nearest Metro station. I think there may have been a small cafe or restaurant. Other campgrounds had fewer amenities but my mother always insisted we stay in a campground with flush toilets although not all had showers.

We had a car and a tent so didn't require a power hookup. Some campgrounds had picnic tables, playgrounds and little stores while others were just a place to park and pitch a tent.