Guide in Russia?

Search

Guide in Russia?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guide in Russia?

Hello! We are planning a trip to Moscow and St Petersburg in early October. This is our first trip to Russia and we are wondering if we need to arrange for a guide who will help us? We usually do the planning /. sightseeing on our own - but then, we have visited countries where we could manage with English.

If we do need a guide, any recommendations? Do we need one for all the sights in both Moscow and St. P?

Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM

You can certainly do all the planning/booking yourself for both St P and Moscow, it just depends if you want a guide to assist with hotels, transport, or if you want someone who will guide you through museums as well. I had no trouble navigating my way around and I don't have a skerrick of Russian (well, hello, thank you and cheers, but that's it!). Even navigated the Moscow Metro in peak hour with no mistakes - just memorise the Cyrillic of the stops you need and presto. Even the ticket lady smiled - yikes!

How much time are you spending in each city? And how are you getting from one to the other (the Sapsan 4hr fast train is a great alternative to flying, plus comfortable and easy to book, many hotels will help you with this). The sights you plan to see in each place will be generally easy enough to reach yourself, and AFAIK the only museum you need a guide for (ie can't do unaccompanied) is the Yusupov Palace in St Petersburg, but you can call them to arrange to join an English-speaking tour as available. Good hotels are a great source of assistance in Russia, they are happy to explain things and help you book items/tours as required. Having said that, if you feel more comfortable with a private guide, you may get more out of one in St P, and see if they have a driver available as you will be able to visit stunning places further afield like Catherine's Palace and Peterhof (fountains are usually still on til mid October, weather dependent). It's worth noting that these are also reached on day tours and minibuses, so will depend on how much time you have in St P.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

madamtrashheap, thanks for all the details! we plan to spend 4-5 days in St.P and 2-3 days in Moscow. Does that sound doable?
Like i said, we have never had a private guide anywhere before and therefore are not sure if we will be "comfortable" having one. If it is entirely possible to go around / see places on our own, that will be our preference.

Also, i wanted to check how cold it will be in early October. We used to live in NJ and now live in Singapore (and therefore are a little out of touch with winters . Having said that, we do not mind cold weather. I will be in the second trimester of my pregnancy then and so the husband is a bit concerned...

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:38 PM

Pozgaluista! That's a great amount of time in each city, nice work! If you don't feel the need for a guide, then you'll be fine without one. Things can take a little longer to achieve in Russia (esp Moscow) than you might be used to, as in buying tickets (the Kremlin ticket shuffle is an experience, but a hoot!) and finding buses, etc, but you'll be fine. People in St P are friendlier than in Moscow, but Muscovites will help, even if it seems like you're putting them out. Randomly enough, I preferred the Moscow metro to the St P one (might be the decorations!), but it's easy to navigate and there are trams/street cars too. If you stay central in St P you will be able to walk to many places. You'll just need tours/busses (the private "Marshrutka" ones)for the places mentioned above. Taxis are a little more difficult if you don't speak Russian, so rely on the hotel for advice if you need one.

Have you booked hotels yet? You'll need them for your invitation to send with the paperwork process your Russian visa. The invitation information will show on websites of hotels, and getting it issued via email is easy, but only once you book your hotel. St P has some good choices and you'll probably be shocked at the price rise between it and Moscow - ain't cheap to sleep in Moscow.

As for weather, it's usually still pleasant enough in October, but then I like Winter. You'll need a fairly heavy jacket, for nighttime, and I would pack a pashmina/scarf and a pair of gloves just in case it turns. I was there late November and St P was no more than 6C during the day (and 2 at night,so fine) but Moscow had a mini-heatwave and was 13C for the 3 days I was there. Unusual for that time of year, even Russians were weirded out. Take things you can layer and make sure you have warm shoes/boots and you'll be fine. As you'll be in your second trimester, you will still be fine getting around and people are polite so will help you out.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

oh - 6C in St.P does not sound too bad for November. We checked a few weather websites and the average temp mentioned there were more like 4C in early October!

I am also assuming that medical facilities should not be a problem in Russia (just in case!)

Thank you, once again!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 01:21 AM

Can't say I've had any personal experience with hospitals, doctors, etc in Russia, but assuming you're taking out Travel Insurance (if you're not, then do!), you could also check a list of preferred facilities in each city (there will likely be one in St P and one or two in Moscow) from your Travel Insurance company. If it helps, there is an American Medical Centre in St P which should be covered by your Travel Insurance (you may have to pay upfront and claim costs back) otherwise look for Poliklinika #2 which is used by most diplomatic staff and inbound tour operators. For Moscow, there is also an American Medical Centre. Check the web for the addresses/contact numbers and have them on you as a precaution - then you've covered all your bases.

Yeah, the weather isn't generally harse in October, but if the wind kicks in it will be a little chilly. Being from NJ, and assuming you haven't aclimatised to the humidity of Singapore, you'll be just fine. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 01:22 AM

PS: Poliklinika = hospital.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 01:26 AM

Winter can start as early as late September so 4C in early October sounds about right but can never tell.

If you find you want a guide once there, you can usually get one at the entrance to most major sites eg Kremlin.

There is an American Medical Center in Moscow. Check clauses in travel insurance to see if pregnancy is covered.

2-3 days in Moscow does not sound long for the amount of sites to see. Book train tickets via a local travel agency or at the station since booking through the hotel will be expensive.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 03:19 AM

PS: Poliklinika = polyclinic
Bolnitsa = hospital
Gospital = hospital
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM

Odin - thanks for the exact definitions. The reason I said it was a hospital is that the word "polyclinic" isn't so well understood outside Europe and many are attached to hospitals (or aligned with them for additional services/overnight stays). I guess the best way to describe it is a Medical Centre (with several specialties under one roof) but without the facility for overnight stays or major surgery (generally speaking).
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all the information and help!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 02:27 PM

We are going in Sept and return the 22nd. Will write ASAP to let you know how things go. From NYC and in Saudi Arabia and Texas for 40 years, so I like it colder rather than hotter, so will let you know.

FYI: new visa rules as of July 1.jk
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM

We could not have been more pleased with Olga, the private guide for Saint Petersburg I found through recommendations here on this forum.

http://www.tourservice.sp.ru/
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 12:30 AM

Jan47ete, will look forward to your inputs!
new visa rules?? could you please give some more information...

djkbooks, thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Visa application can only be done online, processed to the consulate you designation, printed and sent off. I would start the process before bying tics and putting down deposits. jk
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

We were hpoing to spend 4-5 days in each of Moscow and St.Petersburg. Now, it looks like we can only spend 3 days in Moscow and 4 in St.P. Is this too little time?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Better that you have the greater amount of time in St P (IMO). If these are full days (not 3 days = 2 nights) then that will be plenty this time around. Lots to see in both cities, but I suspect you have a longer list for sights in St P you would like to see. Plan well in terms of what is accessible from your hotel vs requiring transport (eg the Winter palace, Peterhof, etc) and also place in order of must-see to would-like-to-see-if-we-have-the-time and your trip will come together. You could even hire a guide (as suggested above) and driver for one day for the further out places to make the most of your time.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

This is how our itinerary looks right now:

Day 1 - in Moscow
Day 2 - In Moscow. Take evening train (3.5 hours) to St.P
Day 3, 4, 5 - in St.P
Day 6 - in St.P. Take evening train back to Moscow
Day 7 - in Moscow
Day 8 - fly back

Essentially, this is giving us 2.5 days in Moscow and 3.5 in St.P. What do you think?
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM

It's not much time in Moscow, if I read it correctly it is 1 night then an evening train which probably leaves around 7pm meaning again not much time in Moscow. Since time is limited why not fly between the 2 cities or fly into Moscow, take the train to St Petersburg and fly home from there rather than return to MOW if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -