Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Guess who's getting Prince Harry & Megan as neighbours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's bad enough having to go past the building site the bloody Beckhams have put up to get to the cinema.

Now the neighourhood's going even further downhill.

Fortunately, it's only for a year. But how much worse could it get?

Trump?
Old May 6th, 2018, 02:19 PM

I rather pity the royal couple for having to slum it near you and flannerpooch.
Old May 6th, 2018, 02:21 PM

An aside here, Flanner. Do the British understand how unpopular Trump is in the States?
Old May 6th, 2018, 02:24 PM

Unpopular enough to get elected and still 40% approval polls - lots of dumb greedy Americans!
Old May 6th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
The last poster I would have expected to humblebrag.
Old May 6th, 2018, 09:15 PM

If you've put up with the Camerons all these years, I'd have thought this would be water off a duck's back.
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

xcountry: Nicest thing anyone's ever said about me here. Thanks
Never heard "humblebragging" before, but if we're honest everyone does it round here. In a very Cotswold way, of course.
In fact the "exclusive retreat" the clip yammers on about builds its entire business around it: It pretends to be exclusive, so slebs do actually pay £2,000 to join. Then it whispers to us all it's so exclusive no-one's allowed in, but you O Flanneruk (or anyone else) are so exceptionally talented/famous/utterly obscure we'll make an exception. So we fork out, can't get in at weekends because all the London mob crowd the place out, but come along on weekdays for its (seriously excellent, almost empty and free) cinema and a less than excellent, absurdly overpriced, plate of food we're reasonably confident won't poison us. So they make a mint out of the gawping London weekenders and a slightly smaller mint out of us - who really DON't notice the slebs because none of us could tell the diff between Megan and a flying rhinoceros. Even if we had our glasses on - but we're all so gaga we've forgotten them anyway.

PalQ: No idea whether Trump's more or less unpopular. FWIW, I'd say about half the US loathes him more. But ALL of us think he's a pillock, and about half of us (a group that doesn't include me) think he's a dangerous pillock. My half think he's an even bigger pillock, but the US Constitution stops him from being truly dangerous and every now and again (like dealing with the Fat Korean) he tweets himself into achieving something no-one else could.
Either way, Trump's state visit here is turning into the social event of the decade. Even those of us who started off supporting the Iraq invasion are rejigging our diaries to take the piss out of him when he comes. If they ever announce where he'll actually be going, we'll be chartering cattle waggons to come and giggle.

Patrick: The Camerons. Thing is: the paps were really never THAT interested in a mere prime minister, and Cameron's dying child made the area off limits for even the vilest. The intended move to Sandringham presumably means the mini-Harries and Harriets won't pop out till then - but H&M really ARE pap target no 1 and our way of life is fundamentally incompatible with having paps around: it's even more incompatible with procedures for deterring paps. H&M aren't going to be living in gated and code of conduct-controlled SFH, and the Beckhams are never here anyway.

H&M are going to live almost full time on an open road, their nearest pub is so tourist-choked they'll never be in there either, so we're the closest approximation to normality. Seriously: the real A list (like monarchs or foreign presidents) doesn't need security here because the average Cotswold pensioner's handbag is enough to deter the bombers. I've no idea how to control the paps, except to pray we're too obscure or to hope they've got a code of ethics.

The latter clearly beggars belief. So we can only hope so many editors have got houses here they'll blacklist anyone fouling their doorsteps. And, whether they live here or not, spike everything from anyone doing so.

The one constant in an ever- changing world, of course, being the utter self-centredness of British media barons. But even that doesn't stop paps wanting to sell pics to the French and Italian glossies. Maybe we might move to Mar a Lago for a year.

But that'd REALLY upset the pooches.

Last edited by flanneruk; May 6th, 2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:31 PM

Better learn to spell her name correctly (even if it is wrong) - Meghan - for the Christmas cards. Not quite sure why there is a superfluous H in it but there you go.

Pegontheroad, do Americans realise how unpopular Trump is in Britain/Europe? What's that got to do with Flanner's new neighbours anyway - he's hardly likey to be calling round for tea, unlike his predecessor.
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

xcountry: Nicest thing anyone's ever said about me here. Thanks
Never heard "humblebragging" before, but if we're honest everyone does it round here. In a very Cotswold way, of course.
In fact the "exclusive retreat" the clip yammers on about builds its entire business around it: It pretends to be exclusive, so slebs do actually pay £2,000 to join. Then it whispers to us all it's so exclusive no-one's not allowed in, but you O Flanneruk (or anyone else) are so exceptionally talented/famous/utterly obscure we'll make an exception. So we fork out, can't get in at weekends because all the London mob crowd the place out, but come along on weekdays for its (seriously excellent, almost empty and free) cinema and a less than excellent, absurdly overpriced, plate of food we're reasonably confident won't poison us. So they make a mint out of the gawping London weekenders and a slightly smaller mint out of us - who really DON't notice the slebs because none of us could tell the diff between Megan and a flying rhinoceros. Even if we had our glasses on - but we're all so gaga we've forgotten them anyway.

PalQ: No idea whether Trump's more or less unpopular. FWIW, I'd say about half the US loathes him more. But ALL of us think he's a pillock, and about half of us (a group that doesn't include me) think he's a dangerous pillock. My half think he's an even bigger pillock, but the US Constitution stops him from being truly dangerous and every now and again (like dealing with the Fat Korean) he tweets himself into doing something no-one else could.
Either way, Trump's state visit here is turning into the social event of the decade. Even those of us who started off supporting the Iraq invasion are rejigging our diaries to take the piss out of him when he comes. If they ever announce where he'll actually be going, we'll be chartering cattle waggons to come and giggle.

Patrick: The Camerons. Thing is: the paps were really never THAT interested in a mere prime minister, and Cameron's dying child made the area off limits for even the vilest. The intended move to Sandringham presumably means the mini-Harries and Harriets won't pop out till then - but H&M really ARE pap target no 1 and our way of life is fundamentally incompatible with having paps around: it's even more incompatible with procedures for deterring paps. H&M aren't going to be living in gated and code of conduct-controlled SFH, and the Beckhams are never here anyway.

H&M are going to live almost full time on an open road, their nearest pub is so tourist-choked they'll never be in there either, so we're the closest approximation to normality. Seriously: the real A list (like monarchs or foreign presidents) doesn't need security here because the average Cotswold pensioner's handbag is enough to deter the bombers. I've no idea how to control the paps, except to pray we're too obscure or to hope they've got a code of ethics.

The latter clearly beggars belief. So we can only hope so many editors have got houses here they'll blacklist anyone fouling their doorsteps. And, whether they live here or not, spike everything from anyone doing so.

The one constant in an ever- changing world, of course, being the utter self-centredness of British media barons. But even that doesn't stop paps wanting to sell pics to the French and Italian glossies.

Maybe we might move to Mar a Lago for a year. But that'd REALLY upset the pooches.
Old May 7th, 2018, 12:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was planning to join the anti-Trumps riots but I have to go drinking wine in a French chateau that weekend, you would have thought they would have asked. Some people just don't plan ahead. I'll be thinking of you, flanner, as some Plod tries to kettle you and a few QC neighbours, should be amusing.

Harry who?
Old May 8th, 2018, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

"Plod tries to kettle you and a few QC neighbours"

What's QC? The idea of calling me or my neighbours PC is hysterically funny: if QC's a two-letter acronym for being mildly to the right of Attila the Hun, I'd love to hear the decods.
Old May 8th, 2018, 03:37 AM

FWIW, I nearly trod on the Prince of Wales's foot once.
Old May 8th, 2018, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QC = Queen's Counsel? Hope there are some good demos!
Old May 8th, 2018, 04:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Queen's Counsel..

Some years back, when Leeds was improving its train system chaos at the station was the order of the day, the usual 6:30pm train for Ilkley was changed to one to Skipton while the passengers were waiting to depart. The train was packed with lawyers who jambed the doors and refused to get off.

Up stepped two of the Tranport Plods finest to explain the facts of life to these terrible "customers" not doing what the train company wanted
Out stepped three QCs, with the result that the train went to Ilkley ;-) we don't know what was said but it seemed to slow Plod down a lot.

If I was going to be kettled I'd take a neighbourly QC.
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:50 PM

Poor flanner,
Oh the trials of first world problems!
Old May 9th, 2018, 03:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those old biddies in London who have repeatedly questioned this whole thing must be relieved beyond belief.
Old May 9th, 2018, 05:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m sorry, I couldn’t get past the automated voice on the video. Say what?
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:46 AM

>>I couldn’t get past the automated voice on the video<<

Yes, those are distinctly weird. I've noticed several of these in recent weeks. I don't know if it's supposed to be some service for the visually-impaired (but putting up a Youtube video clip would be a rather roundabout way of doing that), or some way of trying to piggyback on someone else's written material to get some Youtube advertising revenue.
Old May 9th, 2018, 07:11 AM

flanner - take a pic for us and post it!
Old May 9th, 2018, 09:40 AM

Oh, Flanner! I am sincerely sorry for this irritation to the residents there, but as an American who visited Great Tew, I'm hard-pressed to imagine lovelier places to live than that neck of the woods. Officially envious of Princess Meghan now. But I suppose that's tempered by the fact that she's marrying Harry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -