Grocery Stores in Venice

Nov 13th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Molly

Grocery Stores in Venice

My family has rented an apartment directly across from the Scala Contarini del Bovolo, for early next summer. Is this a good location? Does anyone know where the nearest grocery store to this location, would be? Thanks! Molly

Nov 14th, 2002, 01:27 AM
kavey

The location is good - it's a comparatively quiet area considering it's not a long walk to St Mark's Square, and should be easy for you to get to everywhere else.
Don't know about grocery stores, sorry.
Kavey

Nov 14th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Dottie

I haven't been in Venice for 3 years, but unless things have changed, you should not expect to find a supermarket type grocery store. One of the pleasures of self-catering travel is that gives focus to wandering around. Your landlord - or neighbors - will direct you to the closest grocery store which is where you can pick up staples, cheese, olives, and other essentials. Produce you will get on the street from a vendor, and each neighborhood has one or more bakeries.

If any member of the family simply cannot survive without something very specific (Jif crunchy, for ex)bring it with you. While you may be able to find it, you do not to spend all of your time on the trail of peanut butter.
Have fun.

Nov 14th, 2002, 04:45 AM
maryjane

You will not be very far from the Rialto Market which is an adventure in and of itself and has any food you could ever imagine and then some! There are also small stores surrounding the market so you should be able to get whatever you need.

Nov 14th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Ang

There definitely is a supermarket near San Marco. I was shocked when I found it, but it's there. I unfortunately cannot really describe how to get there. The most that I remember is that when you are facing San Marco's church, walk by the church on the left hand side, continue straight, then take a left. Very vague, I know. It was not huge, but there was a meat counter, plenty of pasta, toiletries, everything. Just ask someone who works in the area and they probably would know.

Nov 14th, 2002, 05:08 AM
elaine

Molly
what a wonderful location. Just as kavey and mary jane describe. Do have a good look at the Scala, and I believe sometimes it is open for the public to climb it.
It was amazing to me that the beautiful stairway was constructed in 1492 when Columbus was just stumbling into the New World.

By the way, I'm sure your landlord can give you additional tips about the nearest shops, pharmacy, etc.

Nov 14th, 2002, 05:59 AM
meg

Don't forget the co-operativa where you can take your own large plastic bottles to be filled with wine straight from the barrel. There are several small supermarkets- one near to San Marco and one near Rialto as well as the fish market (not to be missed)and lots of greengrocers. Visit the fruttivendolo on a gondola over in Dorsoduro

Nov 14th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Pam

There is a grocery store on the Zattare near the vaporetto stop. I too recommend the Rialto Market. We strolled around one morning. The produce looked great. To my memory the fish market at Rialto is closed Sunday and Monday.

Nov 14th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Michelle

We also stumbled upon the grocery store in Venice when we were there last month. I can't say for sure, but it was on one of the main streets between San Marco and Rialto: Mercerie???

Good Luck!!!

Nov 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM
creative thinking

I found the 'normal' grocery store mentioned above by following an older Italian woman with an empty charriot (rolling grocery basket)... it is on the promenade of the Guidecca canal near the Zaterre vaporetto stop. Not much signage so you had to keep your eyes open for the doorway along an unmarked yellow wall.

I don't think this is close to your apartment, but maybe my method (of following women with empty grocery baskets!) will work in your neighborhood too ;-)

Nov 14th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Tim

Molly,

When in Venice, ask where the nearest "COOP" is (Supermarket Chain well known in Switzerland vis-a-vis Migros).

We stayed in Cannaregio and there was one around the corner from us. They have everything a supermarket should have -- sold wine in cardboard containers for less than one Euro (resold as Table Wine by the neighborhood restaurants).

Across the alley was a bulk wine shop that does refills. It was there I bought a $4 bottle of Brut Prosecco that was better than most of the champagnes I've had!

Nov 14th, 2002, 01:11 PM
jt

There is a grocery store in San Margherita square. Just a narrow doorway faces the street, and I think it has the usual inconvenient closing hours for midday, etc.

Nov 14th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Molly

Thank you for all your replies. Lots of good information! I appreciate hearing that this is a quiet area, even though it is close to St. Marks Square.

It sounds like there will be plenty of places to shop near the Rialto. I also wrote down the area for the grocery store. If this doesn't work, I guess I'll just tell my kids to start following little old ladies with shopping carts! Thanks again! Molly

Nov 14th, 2002, 02:55 PM
J'adore Paris

I'm sorry I can't remember the street name, but it is the big street that leads away from the Train Station towards the Rialto. On that street, closer to Rialto, there is a store on the left hand side that is called "Standa" (coming from Rialto, it will be on the right). Although the windows show only clothes, the back of the store is a very large supermarket with everything you could want. Wines, cheeses, pasta, canned goods, paper goods, veggies, fruit, etc. This might be a good place for staples, but I agree with the others - the Rialto market is a fresh food haven!

Nov 14th, 2002, 03:24 PM
CAgal

Molly, ask for the nearest CO-OP, not COOP! Small distinction, big difference.

Nov 14th, 2002, 08:50 PM
donnae

follow the signs

Nov 16th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Colleen

The Standa with the grocery store in the back of it is on the Strada Nova, the 'main drag' between the train station and Rialto/San Marco. There are lots of little mom-and-pop type grocery stores in Venice, though, in addition to the fresh markets, so I wouldn't think you'd really need to make the trek to Standa or to Bila on the Zattere.
I hate to say this, but during the day in early summer, I think your apartment could become quite noisy with all the people jostling for a view of the Scala del Bovolo. I was there in January, saw how packed the narrow calle was, turned around and left. But hey - you'll be out touring during the day and won't even notice, right?

Nov 16th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Capo

Hi Molly. From what others have written, it sounds like there will be a grocery store in your vicinity but, in case you're in Dorsoduro (across the Grand Canal from where you'll be), there is, as jt noted, a small supermarket in the wonderful Campo Santa Margherita, at the southeast corner.

The area where you'll be staying, near Campo Manin, looks like a great location.

Also, here's a website with a photo and brief description of the Palazzo Contarini Del Bovolo:

http://www.millhoff.net/travel/italy/venice/bovolo.html

Nov 16th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Molly

Thank you for your replies, Colleen and Capo. I appreciate knowing that this area could get crowded at times. I'm not too concerned because we probably will be touring during the daytime hours.

Thanks for the website and the Dorsoduro grocery store recommendation, Capo. Molly

Nov 17th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Jim

Third vote for the market at Campo San Margherita. Well stocked, but also very well hidden. Look for the shopping carts lined up in front of the door, or ask a local. BTW, I thought the Campo San Margherita was one of the best, not so touristy parts of Venice. Great people watching and relaxing.