Grindelwald to Randa

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grindelwald to Randa

Hello. I will be in Switzerland for two weeks in late June and early July. We will be staying in Grindelwald and taking day trips by train and bus. Is Randa close enough to Grindelwald to do a day trip? My daughter wants to do some hiking and see the Charles Kuonen suspension bridge there and I'm just trying to determine if it is possible to do that trip in one day by bus/train or if we should get a hotel and stay a few days in that area. Thank you!
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Well it's 2 h 34 min by train from Grindelwald, changing in Interlaken-Ost, Spiez and Visp each way. Very possible day grip and relocating would take time too - it could cost a bit too - check www.sbb.ch for fares (I got schedules at www.bahn.de/en) - will you have some kind of pass -may look into Swiss Travel Pass or Half-Fare Card for use in Jungfrau region and anywhere in Switzerland? For lots on various passes check www.sbb.ch; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Swiss trains don't require pre-booking or seat reservations so just show up at Grindelwald station and buy return ticket - also look into day passes for Switzerland at www.sbb.ch.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 12:13 AM

The Charles Kuonen Bridge is part of the Europe trail Graechen - Zermatt (2 days hike at a avarage altitude of 7500 ft. The railway station of Randa is at 4600 ft.
Of coursse, it's possible to reach the suspension bridge from Randa or Taesch railway station, but that means a steep ascent of 3000 ft followed by a steep descent of 3000 ft, all on well signmarked trails. There is no need to go down the same trail, circular itineraries are possible.
If you don't want to climb up the 3000 ft, you may start at Sunneggga rope railway (from Zermatt) station and hike northwards for about 12 miles up to the bridge.

If you do this trip, make sure that the weather is fine and leave with one of the first trains, may be:
Grindelwald dp 6.19 - Randa ar 8.53
The last train to Grindelwald leaves Randa at 20.30
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 05:08 AM

Seems better to stay overnight to have a relaxed day doing all that.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses. They were very helpful!