Reload this Page >

Grindelwald, Murren, or Wengen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Tina

Hello,<BR><BR>I am trying to decide between staying in Grindelwald, Murren, or Wengen for 3 to 4 nights. I've heard great things about all three. I would like to stay in the town which is convenient to rail travel and to the Jungfrau and possible day trip to Zermatt. We plan to travel in mid-May.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Emilia

I am interested in this too, so am topping.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Wayne

I'd say that if you want to stay mobile and close to a railroad, your choices are Grindelwald (best) or Wengen (next best). I have found Murren a little too hard to get into and out of conveniently.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:59 AM
gina

Wengen is by far the best. It is a traffic-free village so is much more peaceful. You can easily go to Grindelwald for the day, though. From Wengen there is just no subtitute for that view up the Lauterbrunner valley to the Jungfrau.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 01:03 PM
ana

Grindelwald gets my vote. Spectacular scenery, convenient transportation, nice shops and restaurants.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Sue

I loved Muerren, but if you want to visit the Jungfrau then Wengen is probably more convenient. By the way, there may be snow in Wengen and Muerren even as late as mid May.<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Chris

Once I went to Grindelwald. I walked into a shop and the blonde salesperson looked up at me and said "Konichi Wa" even though I have light brown hair and am Caucasian. The town is so meant for Japanese tourists that they even have the street name signs in Japanese. I'd steer clear of there. I didn't find it charming at all.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Amy

Although I love it,Murren is out. Grindelwald is not as charming as Wengen; however, it certainly has the links that you need for Jungfrau, and it also has the connections you could use to other beautiful sites. The best thing about Grindelwald is variety--you have a great choice of hotels and restaurants at some competitive prices along with its connections to everywhere you would dream of going.<BR><BR>Having stayed in all three, the big G gets my vote.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Betsy

Of the three, Grindelwald will be the busiest. It is also in a valley, while Wengen and Murren are on up in the moutains, (Murren being the highest.) Its just spectacular to be sitting up on the mountains. Wengen and Murren as said, are car free, Wengen is a bit more expensive, but probably more convenient to train travel. Murren is that out of the way. Just a funicular ride up from Lauterbrunnen. Wengen has greater accessibility to the Jungfrau then Murren. IMO Wengen will give you the right balance of beauty, tranquility and activity.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Rex

Don't forget to take a look at www.twenj.net for info compiled by our beloved and immortal Ed Gehrlein (1937-2001, may he rest in eternal peace).<BR><BR>And for a look at an alternative destination in the Swiss Alps, there was a good article in the "Grey Lady" on Saas-Fee last Sunday, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/20/travel/SAAS.html - - and I think this might be new (very good!) news - - the entire contents of the www.nytimes.com site now available at NO charge to all those registered (which is also free).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Jim Humberd

We drove from Interlaken towards Grindelwald, Switzerland, near the Schlithorn where the James Bond movie, “On Her Majesty’s Service,” was filmed at Piz Gloria. There were many beautiful scenes with the tree colors in full bloom, but no place to park and take a picture. Suddenly, as the road curved, there stood a striking bare tree, much like a sculpture with branches and twigs, each heavily coated with ice from the recent shower. Just then the sun broke through the clouds, and while a meteorologist or scientist might say it is impossible, the icy tree, back-lit by the beaming sun, gleamed with all the colors of the rainbow. We could tell by the gestures of people in the other cars that they were as astonished and amazed as we were, but again the camera was not in hand, there was no shoulder of the narrow road to stop for a picture. In a moment, as we passed the tree, the sun again hid behind the cloud, the colors vanished. We drove to this same spot at the same time the next two mornings, but without the crystallization of ice on each and every twig, the magnificent resplendence did not reappear.<BR><BR>www.InvitationToTravel.com<BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 11:37 AM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Tina have stayed in <BR>Grindelwald 4 or 5 times over the years<BR>and have felt it has most anything including a lot of tourists, have loved\<BR>it other than the loads of buses.<BR>Good views of the Eiger, Monch and Grindelwald First from the town are a<BR>plus.. Wengen is up off the Lauterbrunnen Valley floor with the<BR>Mannlichen at its back and you can see<BR>across the valley. Murren is on the<BR>opposite side of the valley and has good<BR>access by cablecar to the Schlithorn and<BR>excellant views of the Jungfrau and etc. Across the valley. Zermatt from<BR>Grindelwald would not be a good day <BR>trip, beleive it would be almost 5 hours<BR>one wayu, check into www.bahn.hafas.de/<BR>or www.sbb.ch/ for further information.<BR>Richard ofLagrange Park, Il..

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 11:57 AM
nospam

To jim humberd<BR><BR>Lose the website at the bottom of your postings, where people will read that you are actually extending is an invitation to buy.<BR><BR>Each book $15, $40 for all three; includes Tax & postage.<BR><BR>If you are a member, PayPal is acceptable. Otherwise a check mailed to Jim Humberd, 79-409 Horizon Palms Cir, La Quinta, CA 92253, will get the book(s) in the mail immediately. <BR><BR>Your contributions to this website will be welcome. You advertising here will not.<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:47 PM

Topping some great little old questions about countries other than Italy.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:47 PM
xxx

topping for bruce