Grindelwald in April

Search

Grindelwald in April

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grindelwald in April

We will be in grindelwald on Apr 01. What will the weather be like. Will there still be snow on the ground.(we hope not) We would prefer to see the green rolling hills on the mountains. Will this be possible at this time.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:41 PM

I was there the second week in April last year and there was NO green rolling hills only A LOT of Skiers. There was very little snow in Grindelwald and Interlaken, but the mountains were still completely covered with snow. Have a nice trip!!! Mike
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks mike. how about lake lucerne are will there be less snow. We went to switzerland last summer and loved the scerey of the green hills. is it possible to see these anywhere is switzerland at that time.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:04 AM

Take a look at weaterhbase.com and worldclimate.com and see the temps and do the math. It is still COLD in the mountains in April. You should expect to still see snow on the ground even in lower elevations in the Interlaken area. I live in Zurich and we have had snow ourselves in mid-April in past years, although it does melt quickly. The area around Zurich would be green in April, cold temps notwithstanding. If you want to be surer of seeing green hills, go to the Lake Geneva area, esp the eastern end of Vevey, Lausanne, etc. They have more of a micro-climate and don’t get a lot of snow even in the winter.

I will also say that this winter is shaping up as fairly snowy, after a dryish Christmas. For the last week or so we have had a lot of snowfall and temps are cold. There has been snow on the ground in Zurich for over a week, something which is quite rare as it generally melts after the first day or so. The mountains have had a ton of snow, and if temps stay cool, it will take some time to melt.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 06:54 AM
urs

April 01, Grindelwald will be winter wonderland, because this year, there is much more snow than usual.
If you wish a green landscape, visit Locarno and Ascona, in the south part of Switzerland. The lakes there, the romantic villages, it is anyhow a sensational area, nature wise. If you need any more help on planning the trip, let me know.
Grindelwald, by the way is full of spring flowers, meadows of all colours, really wonderful from Mid of May on. Later from June on, the flowers are not in the valley anymore as the farmers cut the grass, but a little higher. There you see millions of gentianes with their dark blue colour.