Reload this Page >

Gregorian chant fanatic

Search

Gregorian chant fanatic

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:28 PM
barbara

Gregorian chant fanatic

Husband loves Gregorian Chant. We will be in Italy for two weeks in mid-March. We'll be in Florence, Venice, Siena. Does anyone know where we can hear a live performance? Gracie, Barbara

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:12 PM
Sally

We heard one on Sunday morningat San Giorgio in Venice- the church designed by Palladio- it is on a small island opposite the Doges Palace.<BR><BR>We also heard a beautiful one at a monastery church built by Charlemagne. It is , I think, south ? of Siena. At the moment I cannot remember the name of it, but it is in Fodor's Italy Guide- I think it is San Antimno(sp).

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
Betsy

Sally, it's San Antimo (you were close), a beautiful monastery that supposedly dates from the 800s and is in the middle of rolling hills. It's constructed of alabaster, which makes for beautiful light inside. I've been there twice, but have never been fortunate enough to hear the monks chant. I think I may be able to find a schedule for you. They do play recorded chanting softly in the church, but I don't think it's the same as hearing it in person.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:41 PM
Betsy

Here you go Barbara: Info about San'Antimo, including the chant schedule: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/todo/tuscany.htm#sant_antimo<BR><BR>www.slowtrav.com is a neat non-commercial website with lots of good information about Tuscany.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:19 AM
dean

At St Antimo the monks chant daily at 6:30 pm as of our last visit. I believe its 6pm on Sundays. We missed them last trip as there was a theater festival going on so it pays to check.<BR><BR>Monte Oliveto Maggiore also offers services with chanting.<BR><BR>GOod luck

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:11 PM
Judy

I heard the chant in St.Antimo in one early afternoon last February.It was the end of my hiking,I just walked into the almost empty chapel.It was very moving.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:56 PM
Merrill

At Monte San Miniato, above Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence, there is a daily service, in chant, at 4:30.