Greetings from Les Alpilles

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from Les Alpilles

I never thought that I would have the time, like some Fodor's Folks, to pen a few notes en route, but I find myself now before a computer in a tiny French school program with some free time.

My daughter and I spent a lovely week in Eygalieres, and I thought frequently of such people as Patricia and cigalechanta-- thank you for your helpful comments, and you, too Stu Dudley! (Hope that I have the names all right.)
Le Petit Bru restaurant was very charming; they lit candles and placed them in the facade of the wall in the outside dining area--very atmospheric. And here's a shout out to the kindly folks at Telecycles in Eyragues, who offer tremendously kind support and solid velos for very convenient rentals. Skip the gentleman in St Remy (in my opinion) who rents worn-down bikes and lets you know that you will be on your own should you puncture--no back-up help!

The townspeople were warm and very welcoming-twice my card wouldn't work in the hand-held credit card machines and people let me pay what I had in cash with a quick offer to let me pay the balance anon.

Had a couple of memorable meals and swims at two fine restaurants--one was a reliving of an unexpected stopover last summer at Les Bories, where I happened upon a lovely cold lobster meal overlooking an incredible view across the pool to the Luberon Mountains. A second and final special foray was to the Oustau de Beaumaniere in Les Baux. I was prepared for a stuffy reception, and it looked like the dark-suited waiters would fulfil my expectations, but a little humor (I asked if the neighboring dog at the next table was lapping water that was gazeuse or plat) and things eased up very nicely. Spectacular meal topped by a heavenly apricot souffle.

We now find ourselves studying French in the aforementioned school. It's in the same general region, but it doesn't afford particularly expansive views nor much in the way of recreational facilities. But the people teach well and are quite fun and very personable. We're here with a few Englishmen/women. It's hard to say if this particular study approach (half days reviewing grammar and practicing sentence constructions through conversation, along with exlporing Provencal cultural history) will help greatly in developing out speaking abilities, but time will tell.

More later if anything else pops up of interest.

Cheerio!

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:01 PM

ttt
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Great trip report -- keep it coming!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:21 AM

letour - what is the name of the school that you are(were) studying at? do they have a website you can share? Many thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:44 AM

4totravel, here's the thread with the name of the school:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665727

letour, thanks for both posts. Sounds like a wonderful trip; your daughter must have enjoyed travelling with you.

Anselm
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:59 AM

I just finished reading your post on the French school program, a nice follow-up to your trip report. Sounds like a very nice vacation.