Search

Greenwich

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:47 AM
pd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenwich

We are in London 4 days. Is a side trip to Greenwich something to consider? Thanks very much!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM

It really depends on whether you are interested. Greenwich is a neat village, with all the British features of pubs, shops, and the like. The Greenwich facility is of course famous for the time-zone line, but the naval museum was extremely interesting to me. You can hop the Docklands light rail to a point at the entrance of the underground walkway under the Thames, walk over by walking under the river, emerge at the location of the Cutty Sark, and proceed on foot to the village of Greenwich itself and the observatory/museum on the hill. I'd say it's well worth half a day if you like that sort of thing. Good luck.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM

We did Greenwich the day we landed, as a kind of anti-jet-lag day, getting us out and about in the daylight, pleasant walking in a more peaceful area than central London. We also took the boat there (I think from Westminster pier--it's been several years). Last time we took the bus.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Not such a priority for a first time visit, which is already painfully short for what's on offer downtown. If you yearn to get away, Hampton Palace will likely be more rewarding. Even though I like the subject matter, Greenwich seemed a tad bland compared to other things available. It's a thankless task to be frank, but I feel it's needed.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Pleae, viking, stop hiding your opinions under a basket. It's hard to know your true feelings.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was not that thrilled with Greenwich either. I must have missed something at the navel museum, I didn't find that too interesting as well. The only fun part was standing in two hemispheres at the same time.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Is a side trip to Greenwich something to consider?

OF COURSE!

Take the Thames excursion from Westminster Pier (running commentary on the mercantile history of the City), see <i>Cutty Sark</i>, the Maritime Museum, and the Royal Observatory (read <u>Longitude</u>* before you see the clocks, so you'll understand the significance of what you're seeing).

Walk under the Thames to the Island Gardens DLR station, and take the train back to town.

* ISBN: 0140258795 (also on DVD)
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:46 PM

* Or just google <b>longitude harrison</b> for a quick overview.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM

I went to Greenwich with London Walks (www.walks.com). It was great. We learned a lot from the walking tour and then stayed there for a while after the tour was over. It worked out well because we learned about what's there on the tour and what we were interested in seeing after. You go with the tour to Greenwich by boat and then the guide tells you different ways to get back (we took the Docklands Light Railway). We also had a really great (and cheap) lunch at Goddard's Pie Shop.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:44 AM

If you're interested in maritime history and take the DLR, you can also stop off at the Museum in Docklands by West India Quay station. To go one way by boat and the other by DLR makes it more interesting.

But I agree, it's a matter of what really floats your boat (and I have to say a &quot;navel&quot; museum would probably bore most people). If this is your first trip and you only have four days, I wouldn't put it high on the priority list.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I really enjoy Greenwich - sometimes going to the museum sometimes just enjoying the &quot;village&quot; atmosphere. But to do it justice, including traveling one way by boat and the other by tube, or better yet, walking under the river and taking the DLR takes at least 1/2 a day. More time is even better. On such a short trip as your's I probably would not put Greenwich on the &quot;A List&quot;.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Also a big fan of going to Greenwich, especially by boat and on a Sunday. The park there is a really nice place to relax and take in the locals hanging out, playing football etc.

From a history standpoint, I don't think you've really experienced London if you haven't seen it from the Thames and absorbed some of its maritime history. Elizabeth I was born in Greenwich, I believe.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:45 AM

But PatrickLondon, what if they're Buddhists? They could probably contemplate a navel museum for hours!

janis, Greenwich is as interesting and historically significant as anything else in London. Why <i>isn't</i> it worth a half day?

<i>p.s.</i> to pd: if you take your lunch aboard the boat to Greenwich at 1:00 or so, you'll finish up when most sights in London are closed anyway - so you don't burn the travel time in either direction.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM

was there last summer. wayne is right! good pubs, restaurants. when you reach the Cutty Sark (ship) turn north and you'll come to a great pub (about 150 yards or so)on the riverfront (circa 1700). If it's an unusually warm day and you drink beer, try the &quot;Carling Extra Cold.&quot; Great views of the Thames &amp; Royal Naval School from the Observatory. plenty of shops
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM

I thought the naval museum was not all that great. If I had to rank order a list of attractions, Hampton Court, Windsor, the National Gallery, the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Wallace Collection, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, the Houses of Parliament would rank above it.

If you have done all those, then I think a visit to Greenwich is in order.

I think The Tower of London and Kew Gardens would rank as an equal. (But jewels of such ostentation don't draw me, and the bloody history of the Tower does not intrigue me.) Hampstead Heath is similar in drawing power, although the observatory and its role in determining time is very interesting.
The chance to see a schooner like the Cutty Sark is worth the effort.