Search

Greenwich

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenwich

Will be arriving back at Waterloo Station from Hampton Court and then going to Greenwich for the afternoon. Have been trying to see what train we take and saw Waterloo East to Greenwich on Southwest train. I'm assuming Waterloo East is in the same station with Waterloo?
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I took a boat to greenwich, that was delightful.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

I will be there 23rd of October. Where did you get the boat, how long did the trip take and how much $$$. Also, how do you get to the boat from WAterloo Station? Any ideas of where to eat lunch there?
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 07:54 PM

there are lots of places to eat in greenwich...not a problem...many years ago i took the boat too which is a great trip to see sights along the way...the boat leaves from a pier opposite from big ben on the river...same side of the river as big ben but across the bridge....check it out as this was several years ago...go one way by boat and return by train...don't miss GMT up on the hill..
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:37 PM

Waterloo East isn't quite the same station as Waterloo.

It's a kind of annexe: you get to it from the main domestic station via a lengthy (200 yards?) covered walkway. Don't exit the main station to the street, as the street route between the two bits is quite fiddly.

Allow about 10 mins for the connection. And check the timings on the boat carefully. If you've been out at H Court all morning, you may not have time to go on to Greenwich by boat and see it all before it gets dark.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM

From Waterloo to Greenwich, I think you'd be better-off taking the tube and DLR rather than a train. The boat is lovely, but will eat up your day; perhaps you could take it back into Lonodn after Greenwich. Are you really planning on seeing Hampton Court in the AM and Greenwich in the afternoon? It doesn't even open til 9:30 AM.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:45 AM

I agree, although I'd take the boat downstream to Barrier Gardens, and back up to Greenwich without disembarking. The Thames Barrier is an impressive engineering achievement. Later, take the DLR back to town.

I also agree that doing both Hampton Court and Greenwich in a day is a bit ambitious.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:08 AM

You'd be rushing yourself away from Hampton Court unnecssarily early, I suspect, but you could get from Waterloo to Greenwich quickly, either from Waterloo East, or by Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf and DLR from there to Cutty Sark. Going down to Greenwich by the regular cruise boats would mean hardly enough time to see anything when you get there. But there is one fast commuter boat back at 1742: www.thamesclippers.com

But if it were me, I would prefer to make either of these the main trip for one day on their own, with something else in the same general area, or near to my accommodation, on the same day.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Another factor you may wish to consider is that if you take the boat, you will be sightseeing all the way, whereas with the Tube/DLR, all you will see is tunnels. There are some interesting bits of history along the river bank, and your pilot will give you a running commentary. The rail is somewhat faster (you'll probably save a half hour) but far less scenic.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

I'll try and see them on two different days. I'm not locked into a schedule except for one day. Can you get the boats in October? I went to one website and it only showed the boats until the end of September.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:11 PM

I took the boat in Oct of 02 and agree it is a great ride. Wonderful to see all the great London sites - The Tower, St Paul's etc - from the river. Colorful commentary from the pilot, too. Greenwich is a fun place to visit, give yourself several hours there, have lunch.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:48 PM

I'm considering going to Greenwich too and found this web site http://greenwichengland.com/tourism/

Monica
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Good link, Monica.

(p.s. The millennium began, as every day does, at the International Date Line, 180° from Greenwich.)
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I took the London Walks tour of Greenwich and loved it....it starts at the Tower tube and takes you onto the scenic boat ride there. Very informative, and just a few hours. This way you can use the rest of the day to wander Greenwich, tour the observatory, straddle the zero meridian line, etc.

As for eats....if you email Mr. Ben Haines, he has some pub suggestions that are pretty good, a few in Greenwich.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:48 AM

There are boats to Greenwich all year. There are three operators: City Cruises from Westminster, Waterloo and the Tower (www.citycruises.com); Thames River Services from Westminster and St Katharine near the Tower (www.westminsterpier.co.uk); Catamaran Cruisers from Embankment, Waterloo, Bankside and the Tower (www.catamarancruisers.co.uk). Note that Westminster Pier is now only open at weekends because of work in the river.
It's an easy journey by train. Cutty Sark station on the Docklands Railway is closest to the interesting part of Greenwich. Trains are frequent and connect with other lines at Bank, Canary Wharf, Greenwich and Lewisham.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:48 AM

I agree with flanner uk that the walk from the Hampton Court arrival to the Greenwich departure takes ten minutes. You are up in the air, three floors above street level, but you cover the way with no stairs. From Waterloo East to Greenwich is a direct 15 minute journey above south eastern suburbs, with a glimpse of the Tower and a good view of the baroque church at Deptford. Your London day or week two-zone travel pass covers this line. Then you walk 15 minutes to Greenwich market, Royal Naval College, and maritime museum. To take the tube and DLR would be along way round, with changes, and would take about 40 minutes. If it still sails in October the boat is a good trip, with plenty to see and a commentary, but takes an hour.

From Waterloo main station you can walk in 20 minutes over the new footbridge beside the railway line to the north bank, and drop to Embankment pier for the boat to Greenwich. This is quicker from Waterloo than using the pier at Westminster.

MelissaHI is kind when she refers to my pub lunches list. As she says, I shall gladly e mail you the list if you ask me to. I am afraid all I say about Greenwich is this

The Mitre, next to the great church of St Alphege, Greenwich. They admit children to lunch daily in the conservatory. Nearly as good are the two pubs that have outside tables in old Greenwich Market, a hundred yards away. A little different, but still a good pub meal, is the San Miguel Tapas Bar and Restaurant, 18 Greenwich Church Street, opposite the church and a little towards the Cutty Sark. Good, but the tapas are big enough to make a meal each, and the meals are big enough for two, so this place is especially suited to a party of two or three. You order for two, and ask for plates for three.

[email protected]