Reload this Page >

Greek Islands warm in April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 01:17 PM
jen

My girlfriend and I are planning a spring escape from Chicago- we want warm weather, sun, beaches, among other things. We were thinking of the Greek Islands, but will the climate be warm enough for sunbathing in late March or April? <BR>Do you have any suggestions for other European destinations that would fit the bill? <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:21 AM
metoo

I know that high season is June-August, and that the weather is 80s or 90s(F) then- but I've heard April is "mild" but not necessarily beach weather. <BR>I'm considering a spring trip to Greece as well, so I am also curious about the temps at that time- seasoned travellers to greece- help!

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Paige

Some friends went to Santorini last Easter and said it was warm enough to swim if you really wanted to swim. They also said that a lot of restaurants, hotels and shops hadn't yet opened for the season.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 08:56 AM
julie

I was in Santorini in April, and I would say the same thing as the posters above. It was a fantastic time to be there in terms of few tourists, crowds, etc. People were very friendly, no problems seeing things, etc. I did spend some time on the beach, but swimming was definitely chilly. Cool evenings,too. If you're looking for a classic "beach vacation" I might look to Mexico or the Caribbean at that time of the year. If you're looking for a mix of things, Santorini would work, too. I loved it there--ended up changing my plans from 3 days to 11! <BR> <BR>Julie

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 08:01 AM
jen

Thanks for your replies- <BR>Julie- can you give me an idea of the temps you had (not to be a pest, but one person's "chilly" can be another's heatwave)? <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Martina

Have a look at my weather table on www.paros-online.com (under "Paros"). <BR> <BR>Generally beach weather really starts around mid May, before it can be like winter sometimes! <BR> <BR>Bye, <BR>Martina <BR>

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 03:42 AM
jason

Have you considered the canary islands at all. Tenerife is a nice little microcosm of Spain - pretty spanish colonial architecture and the beaches in the south are really good. Aprtments are furnished to a good standard generally - try any of the British travel agents sites for more info. The sea in April (in the southern part of the island) is definitely warm enough to swim in. Land temperature can hit 26C or higher in the day. <BR>jason

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 08:47 AM
Meg

We went to Corfu earlier this year(first 2 weeks in May). Temperatures around 65-70 F. Some days were very warm but the sea bathing was a little chilly. The restaurants and bars were onyl just opening up in the samller places but it was very peaceful and beautiful. Would recommend Kalami (where Lawrence Durrell the writer lived See "Prospero's Cell")on the NE coast for relaxing break. You can walk over the cliffs in the evening to eat ar Taverna Nikolas in Agni (fireflies light your way home!) <BR>Meg

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Tess

The weather would be warm enough, but the WATER might not be, unless you don't mind pretty cool water. But all in all a lovely time to go!