Greek islands in November?

Jun 5th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Greek islands in November?

Hello!

My husband and I will travel to Athens the second week in November (7th), he will run the Athens Marathon.

We were wondering whether it would make sense to go to one or maybe two of the islands (Crete or Santorini or Mykonos?) for some days before reaching Athens or if we would be better off leaving the Greek islands for other seasons of the year.

If so, the activities to do there would be restaurant hopping and walking? ruins sightseeing? Would you recommend a 2 day visit per island?
Would there be anything special about visiting the islands in winter?

Thanks for your help!
B
Jun 5th, 2019, 11:06 PM

November is definitely off season for the islands, and it is impossible to combine Crete, Santorini, and Mykonos or any of the two without going back through Athens. The reason for this is that ferries combining these islands operate only in the summer, from April to October.

There are ferries and flights to each of these islands all year round, going back and forth from Athens, so it is possible to choose one of those islands and visit it, along with any other island on the route. Ferries to Santorini stop both ways at Paros and Naxos en route. You could fly to Santorini, for example, then take the Blue Star ferry to Naxos or Paros before returning to Athens by ferry or flight.

Crete would also be a good island to visit off-season, as it has a large enough permanent population to keep things open after the tourist season. Mykonos is very quiet after October when the party season is over and cruise ships end their visits. Many of the Mykonos restaurant and shop owners live in Athens over winter.

For a quick day trip to an island you could take a ferry to one in the Saronic Gulf, e.g. Aegina. What I would do off-season is spend 2 or 3 nights in Nafplio, on the sea coast of the Peloponnese. It is only 2 hours by road from Athens and has a lot to offer:
http://visitnafplio.com/
Jun 12th, 2019, 08:10 AM

Visiting most islands in November is disappointing in terms of available hotels and activities.
However,as previously said, it is fine to choose a visit to Peloponnese or Crete. Choices of accommodation and restaurants (probably not activities), are certainly enough there
Jun 30th, 2019, 06:23 AM

If you're asking about the weather in November, it will probably be mixed: some sun, some rain, some warmth, some coolth. Definitely cool nights. Some venues will be closed down for the season particularly on some of the islands, but Greece is a fantastic year round destination. So you should have a good opportunity to get to know the people and to do what the locals do!
Also you can always rent a car from any Greece Car Rental service and just explore the island.
Jun 30th, 2019, 06:31 AM

In November, Athens is not as beautiful as summer. But nevertheless you can see very many beautiful places) Hotels at this time are not so much as in the holiday season. I can rent a car for a more detailed view of the country. But this is only when I travel between cities.
Jun 30th, 2019, 07:22 AM

I would forget those islands In Nov. Consider Syros which is an island not that far by Ferry from Athens that is year round and has a stunning port. You will find things open and the island is so interesting.
Dec 2nd, 2019, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions!

We had to reduce our trip duration, and ended up going to Athens for 4 days (taking out flight and marathon activities time) , so we left out the big islands and ended up having a one-day cruise to Aegina, Hydra and Poros, that was nice enough.
We will visit the big islands on another trip and given your suggestions, go in another season.