Greek Islands

Oct 21st, 2019, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Greek Islands

In the process of planning a family trip for 4 of us (kids are college age) for 10 or 11 days. I think we would like to spend two to three days on each island. So far, I am thinking: land in Athens and spend 2 days, Mikonos 2 days, Santorini 2 days, Rhodes 2 days. Any suggestions on hotels , these islands (good/bad), tour guides and how to get from island to island appreciated . Thank you
Oct 21st, 2019, 02:36 PM

Repost this in Europe Forum, under Greece! I would stay a third day in Athens. I know there is an airport on Mykonos, not sure about the others. Guess take the ferries? We loved Athens for 5 days, then cruised to Mykonos, Crete, Patmos, Rhodes, Santorini. Don't see why a tour guide would be necessary, we did all of them on our own. Get some guidebooks, see which one you lean toward the most, and do on your own. We stayed on our ship instead of the islands, but loved the hotel Athens Gate in the Plaka. Also the Heros is very popular and well priced. What month do you plan to go? In Mykonos, I'd stay out on the beaches and come into town as necessary. The town gets crazy busy 9-4 with cruiseships. Same for Santorini, where I'd definitely opt to stay at north end (by the caldera) in Oia, where the quintessential shots of Santorini are always taken.
Oct 21st, 2019, 05:12 PM
kja

Originally Posted by tonymoutinho66 View Post
Ihow to get from island to island
Check rome2rio.com -- and click through to the underlying web pages, as the main site is not sensitive to seasonal variation in schedules.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 12:09 AM

First of all, plan your itinerary in nights, not days. Two full days at any location needs three nights. Travel between each location will eat up most of a day, and ferries don’t always leave at the most convenient times, departure time being dependent upon where the island is situated within a one or two day route.

Your plans for the Cyclades (Mykonos and Santorini) are workable if you spend three nights on each to achieve two full days. Travel by ferry from Santorini to Rhodes is not easy, because ferries don’t run every day between the two islands, more like three times per week, and the ferry journey would take about seven hours. It would be best to fly back to Athens from Rhodes, and even to consider flying from Santorini to Rhodes with connecting flights via Athens (there are no direct flights from Santorini to Rhodes).

Were it me I would choose between the Cyclades and Dodecanese (Rhodes) rather than trying to do both. Your planned itinerary would use a lot of the 10-11 days just in travel. Save Athens for the end of the trip and fly to your first island the day you land in Athens, leaving 2-3 hours layover for the connecting flight. It rarely happens, but occasionally storms cancel ferries, so it’s good to have a cushion back on the mainland before the flight home.

You don’t say when you are travelling, but I assume you mean during the college summer break. Be aware that it gets very busy on the islands in August when most Europeans take their holidays. June or July would be better.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 01:29 AM

Regarding ferry times, you will have no problem with ferries between Mykonos and Santorini in summer, as there are ferries from both Athens and Heraklion, Crete stopping there in morning and afternoon. The ferries from Athens (Piraeus and Rafina) stop at Mykonos in the morning, then go on to Santorini. The ferries from Heraklion stop at Santorini first, then go on to Mykonos, doubling back in the afternoon to Heraklion, stopping at Santorini again on the way.

Ferries from Athens to the Cyclades Islands leave mostly in the morning from 7 - 7:30 am. There are a few afternoon ferries to Mykonos leaving from Rafina, a small port near the Athens International Airport. Blue Star has an overnight ferry from Piraeus to Rhodes, stopping at Santorini around midnight. This is the three times per week ferry to which I referred in the previous post.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 01:54 AM

On most routes there will be ferries and catamarans. The catamarans are enclosed but on the ferries you can go up on deck in the open air. Generally speaking, the ferries take twice as long but are half the price of catamarans. We've done both and if you have the time, the ferries are nicer, particularly approaching Santorini where the views are fabulous.

If you skip Rhodes but still want to add in another island, Naxos is on the same ferry route as Mykonos and Santorini. I found this website useful for checking timetables but booked direct with the ferry company. Check where you can pick up your tickets - no good having to collect in Athens if you are on Mykonos.

https://www.go-ferry.com/

Also this guy's useful website has been around for years -

https://www.greektravel.com/

Kay
Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:02 AM

Rhodos is a gem:
entirely walled medieval city of Rhodos with a big Cruisader castle and a goo small archeological museum,
medieval Lindos with acropolis with remains of an antique Greek temple,
hiking rails through pine forests and along the coast ,
tons of completely organized sandy beaches with subeads, umbrellas, water sports, restaurants,
famous wind surf center in the south of the Island,
daily boat trips to neighbour Islands llike Symi, Tilos, Chalki....,
hidden isolated sandy beaches almost empty in high season where you have to bring food and shade with you,
all kinds of restaurants, from theuntouristy Greek village taverna up to up to excellent and various Greek and international cuisine,
small pensions in medieval houses in the walled city and all kind of accommodation along the sandy beaches on the East coast.....
but for all that, you will need much more than 2 days.

As said above, the boat travel from Rhodos to Santorini (or vice versa) is tricky:
2-3 weekly ferries calling at Santorini in the middle of the night,
connections with ferry change at Astypalea and/or Amorgos (both only once weekly).

Rhodos - Mykonos is even worse:
you will have to change ferries at Samos or Fourni or Ikaria or may be at Syros.