Search

Greek Islands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Islands

Trying to finalize our May Greece trip. I am getting close to a mainland itinerary and need to decide on islands now. We could have 7-10 days for the islands. I would like to choose islands that offer a variety. I am thinking of possibly try to do Corfu from western Greece when we are there so I will post a separate post about the logistics of that. We will fly to Santorini for sure, probably 3 days. The others that we are considering are:
Mykonos-I have read it is a party island which is not what I am interested in but it suppose to be beautiful. Sounds like we can stay away from the party area. Thoughts on this.
Paros or Naxos
Rhodes
And Crete sounds lovely but it sounds like we would need a week there.
I so appreciate all of your feedback.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 07:10 AM

There won't be any partying on Mykonos in May, so you don't need to worry about that. Actually I prefer Paros/Antiparos or Naxos anyway, and they are both on the main ferry route between Santorini and the mainland.

Suggest you limit the number of different island groups you visit to cut down on travel time. Athens to Santorini by air is only 50 minutes, so that's no problem. Rhodes would require a 3 days/week ferry from Santorini, probably leaving around midnight.

Naxos is only 2 hrs from Santorini by Blue Star ferry, and Paros about 3 hrs. From either you are already half-way back to Athens, so that would be a logical progression. If you wish to fly back to Athens, both Naxos and Paros have small airports.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

do you like Paros or Naxos better and about how many days would you recommend to stay there?
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 07:22 AM

With 7-10 days, would not attempt Corfu... it sounds as if at the beginning of your trip you'll be up in the mountains (obligatory visit to Greek relatives?). So you might reach Corfu quickly from there... but to reach Santorini next would take you at least a full day. (and IF visitng relatives, I have some wisdom from others; see below). With only 7-10 days for islands I don't think you should be attempting 2 different groups ... you can experience a LOT of difference right within the Cycladic island chain & the connections are better.

A time-efficient Itinerary would be to book a FLIGHT to Santorini (50 mins vs 8-9 hours sea journey); do it NOW, while there are bargain rates of €60 or so ... about same as ferries. do 3 days, then go on to one more Island:

• CYCLADES - Naxos is my FAVE, because SO much to do/see & beaches there are wonderul & easy to reach w.o. car rental. Paros has lovely beaches as well, but gettng to them efficiently more of a challenge. if you really wanted a 2nd, from Naxos u can easily get to Antiparos, small & charming & all beaches walkable from port-area lodgings.

• DODECANESE - If you Plan carefully, from Santorini 2 x a week there's a midnight ferry ... sail as u sleep & wake up in Rhodes harbor. Plenty to explore here; several days for "old Town" then rent a car & expllore the island... then fly back to Athens.

NOTE: unless you have a loooong journey from US, and/or arrive in af/ evening, experts advise not doing Athens first, but saving it for last, since you'd have to be there the night before homebound flight anyway.

GREEK RELATIVES TIP -- Friends of mine who learned from experience say this: u visit Greek kinfolk way up in a mountain village at start of trip, and they may exert extreme pressure on you to stay longer & you miss half of your planned itinerary... you never get to that beach!! The problem can be avoided by saving such visits to the END of trip. You can perfectly honestly say, Uncle Kostas, we'd love to stay forever, but our fllight to US is Tuesday; he won't argue with a nonrefundable-ticket reality.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

We are not visiting relatives, we don't know anyone in Greece, sorry about that confusion.thanks for your help.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 07:58 AM

Naxos is travelerjan's favourite island, while mine is Antiparos, the small sister island to Paros. Travelerjan obviously missed the best beaches on Antiparos if she thinks "...all beaches walkable from port-area lodgings."

There are about five very good beaches within a 20 minute walk from the port, but the best beaches are to the south of the island. There is a bus, but most people rent a car or ATV for the day to explore the south end of the island. There are also round-island boat trips that stop on beaches that can't be reached by road. Look in the photos galleries on http://captainbenantiparos.com .
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 08:33 AM

I think that the regulars here have given you good advice. Limit your island hops and stay longer on your chosen island. Greece is best experienced at a slow pace.

Sequentially Naxos and or Paros/Antiparos makes the most sense. They are ion the ferry route heading back toward Athens. You can fly from either back to Athens.

You will not be disappointed in either Naxos or Paros. Both are perfect companion islands to Santorini. They have the same lovely white with blue trim buildings lots of beaches and many hotels with sea views. Both have a permanent population so you will be getting an authentic Greek experience. All of this can be had for about 30% of what you will be paying in Santorini or Mykonos.
Perhaps this will help you decide.

Naxos Town http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094558042/
Trip around Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634605629689/
Antiparos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632126687570/
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much for your advice.Too much to do too little time