Greek Island of Kea

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Island of Kea

Does anyone know if it is difficult to get from Milos or Folegandros to Kea in the summer? My husband and I heard about the great hiking and culinary program on the island and wanted to go as our last island hopping stop before we head back to the mainland to fly to Istanbul.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Go to Gtp.gr -- this is THE best website if you want to find ferry routes you are not sure about.

Put your target Island Kea in the DESTINATION slot... and leave the dates as Month (any) Day (any) and year 2009. -- The DEpartue slot will show a menu of the islands that go to Kea.

I did this, and found that ferries go from Kythnos, Syros and Tinos. Since Kythnos is in the same Island chain as Milos, I thought that was likeliest for you.

I found that there were ferries almost every day from Milos to Kythnos.

Then you put KYTHNOS in the Departure Slot, and KEA in the destination slot and see what you get!!

It appears Milos to Kythnos would be your best bet ... so you would need to visit Folegandros first, then get to Milos, then Kea. From Kea, it's an easy 45 minute ferry to the mainland port of Lavrio -- but I must say, from there to Athens airport is a TOTAL drag by bus ... best to bite the bullet and pay 30+E for a taxi.

I did spend 3-4 wonderful days on Kea in June 2007 --- I met a woman who was going to be part of that culinary program.... but at the time the Island was blessedly untouristed. There as only ONE internet outlet in town, and it was closed! i walked several of the flagstoned walks around the island ... but alas just outside the port, they were busily building several huge resort hotels. Perhaps the economic slowdown will put this on hold -- but get there now, before it's too late.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travelerjan, when do you think we should start booking ferry tickets for late August. I dont' want to book to soon just in case there are companies that haven't posted their schedules yet, but i don't want to wait too long and have hotels booked up. Your suggestions?

Also, if you had to choose between Folegandros, Milos and Kea which would you pick. We are going to Santorini for 3 nights....we want to do at least 2 other islands and are looking for suggestions. We love untouristy areas, hiking.....since we figure we will get our partying in on Santorini.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM

It is SO hard to pick, for other people. You fail to tell how many days you have so I cannot tell whether 3 islands plus (necessarily) Athens is good, or too much. And you do not say what the exact dates of your August trip are. That also matters.. You do know, do you not, that August 15 is one of the hugest Greek holidays... so traveling day before or after can be a problem.

Do you have any idea what your sequence will be? I see that there is a Dailly Sea-Jet service That goes Milos - Folegandros - Santorini and back .... So you could fly or take the overnite ferry to Santorini - then to Folegandros (or not) - then to Milos -- then do that Kythnos hook-up if you wanted to hit Kea.

How to Choose? No one can do it for you ... lately I give people this link to Greek Isles -- written by a young Athenian (schoolmaster) ... more young approach than Matt Barrett site which is really for the same crowd that loves Rick Steves ... this gives the "vibe" of the isles -- http://www.greek-islands.us/ not complete; doesn't have Kea (Tzia). My comments:

SANTORINI -- has a huge inventory of lodgings and even so it will be TEEMING in August, with all the European holiday crowd.

FOLEGANDROS -- basically a beach experience, very small, thus in High season can be overwhelmed; don't rely on reports from people who went in May JUne or September and DON'T go without reservations has a limited housing stock you could be on the street

MILOS, larger, gorgeous beaches, volcanic scenery, more lodging ... but you do need to rent a scooter or car to get around. ... also need reservation in Hi season.
KEA -- will be the least crowded, but will have a LOT of Greeks who go there... When I was there, I saw clubs along the water going out of town but not open yet ... more nightlife around the yachtie harbor Voukari ... you will need a jeep or hire a taxi, I could never figure out the bus system ... maybe there are more in August. Do you have the link for hikes? http://www.cycladen.be/KeaEng.htm

That's all I can provide not knowing your schedule or preferences ... Just be aware that in August "untouristy" is wishful thinking ... even in a down economy.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Great websites travelerjan, thanks! We arrive in Athens on 8/19 and plan on spending two nights there, we already have airline tickets to Santorini on the morning on 8/21 and we have to be back in Athens on the night of the 30th.

when do you think we should start booking ferry tickets for late August. I dont' want to book to soon just in case there are companies that haven't posted their schedules yet, but i don't want to wait too long and have hotels booked up. Your suggestions?
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM

My advice skip folegandros ... find the Milos ferry on the day you want. If it is a Fast-Ferry (400 or so seats) book ahead, if it's a regular car ferry (1200-1800 seats), just buy the ticket when you get to Santorini.

Since you say you want "untouristy" you should limit your stay in Santorini to 3 nights, then 3 in Milos, then 3 in Kea, supposing that you can make the link-up I explained in previous posts.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

that is what we were thinking too....thanks for all your help!