Detailed Russia Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailed Russia Trip Report

It is very long. It is in 4 parts. It can be found here:

http://boards.independenttraveler.co...play.php?f=140

I am not posting it on fodors due to space constraints. It would take me too long to post.

Also, I am tired of this site not adequately and swiftly dealing with the professional flamers.

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:09 PM

I read it and enjoyed it very much.
I am so impressed that you can read Cyrillic !!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:24 PM

What a fabulous trip. Thank you for sharing!!!
-Sharon
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

I hope my report can help others making decisions about what sort of Russia experience they want. It was sort of a forced march through Moscow and St. Petersburg, but I am glad I did it all.

Next time I want to ride the Transiberian Express and am researching that for an eventual trip to see if doing it without a group would be possible. I will also have to work on my Russian to bring it up a notch before going.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

I have put up a post on the independenttraveler.com concerning shopping in Russia. Some of you may find it interesting.

Here is the link:

http://boards.independenttraveler.com/newthread.php
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:34 AM

Thank you for sharing... again. But, oops, I couldn't get to the link. Is it correct?
- Sharon
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:49 AM

Ah, found it... http://boards.independenttraveler.co...ead.php?t=3244

Great detail, thanks for all the tips... I think I'd be sorely tempted to buy all sorts of treasures... laquer boxes and porcelain...and art!!! After your experience I'd stay clear of watches also... the bracelet idea is a good one.

Best regards and thank you so much for sharing.

I wrote a very lengthy trip report recently and posted it to Fodors. The url is ...http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34483366. The longer my report became, the more cumbersome it was to post to and to retrieve. And, when I went into preview my reply and then edit out all the "?" from cutting and pasting from MS Word, the edits would not take.

I see you have a 'senior member' status on the independenttraveler site. What do you think about ease of posting trip reports there? I've been thinking about adding our report to slotraveler also.

- Sharon
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:14 AM

And, perhaps to the independenttravel site...
- Sharon
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:09 AM

I once considered travelling on the Trans-siberia express....never got round to it....however while I was researching I came across a fabulous book...Trans-Siberia: Inside the Grey Area (Summersdale Travel) by Paddy Linehan. It gives an amazing insite into this incredible journey and the people he met on the way.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Excellent report! We'll be in St. Petersburg for only 2 days while cruising in a few weeks. I'm curious why you didn't purchase any nesting dolls.

Thanks for the information, very helpful!

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Rosemary, those nesting dolls are bulky and heavy, and you can buy them in any russian store in USA, or even in china-town!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:27 AM

The best place to buy a watch is at Uglich, what you will usually find at the markets around the tourist sites are the reject watches.

One of the best places for art and handmade crafts is the weekend market at Izmaylovsky Park. You will find dozens of artists selling their own work. Among the items, rugs from central Asia, pottery, handmade cloths, jewellery, chess sets, toys, posters , a large range of matryoshka (nesting dolls)and Palekh and Khokhloma ware.

Quality is mostly high, prices are reasonable (bargain) and many items are original.

The market is a short walk from Izmaylovsky Park metro, just past the Izmaylovsky Hotels.

For art work you will find a large selection near the New Tretyakov Gallery.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

I didn't buy my watch from a street vendor. I bought it in what I thought was a quality shop.

Garfield, I will keep in mind your pointers for next time.

And I really did not need a new watch anyway. It looks like a bracelet so I will just use it like that.

I take it Izmalovsky Park is in Moscow.

I purchase my street art in a variety of places. It all began with the Kolomskye Estate. Then it became a bit of a joke because I really couldn't help myself. Of course, right now the frame guy is helping himself to a good chunk of change.

As to the nesting dolls: Yes, you can find them in the US. I even have one although I cannot remember how I got it. I was just not interested, but you may be.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

I noticed I was listed as a "senior member" on the independenttravler.com but I have no idea why. Maybe that is your "reward" after you put up a certain number of posts.

The reason I like the site is the lack of flames and advertising. They really police it. If you have a problem with a flame type post, just email them and they will generally remove it. Of course, it is easier to police a site with fewer hits.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks, I asked my husband about the Amber room, he saidd it was closed when he was there.
(I love amber beads and fragrance)
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

I just posted about the Amber Room on the "buying amber in Russia thread".

Your husband probably saw some things I missed, cigalechanta. There is just so much to see. You know all these things you have read about in the history books and, there you are, and they are in front of you.

Did I say I really enjoyed by trip to Russia?