Search

Greek Honeymoon Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Honeymoon Help

Hi everyone,
I'm coming looking for your expert help.
I'm getting married in July 2008, and my fiancee and I are looking at Greece for our 2-week honeymoon.
We were looking at spending about 5 days in Crete, we have a timeshare, so we're using it for some of our stay. Then we were thinking 3 days in Santorini, and then a few days on another island before returning to Athens.

I was looking for advice on what other island might be worth checking out. As well as anything that people would highly recommend checking out on those isalnds.

Thanks
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM

We're going to Santorini and Naxos. Naxos apparently has the best beaches and is a little less congested than some of the other islands.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:58 PM

You could add Paros on your way to Athens. This past Sept., we went from Athens to Naxos (5 days), Santorini (5 days) and Paros (3). Paros has two main towns: Parikia and Naoussa. Both quite interesting.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM

You will receive varied responses to your question as many people have their favorite islands.
Personally mine is Naxos, however if you only have two weeks and you have a time share on Crete, I suspect that you will have at least 7 nights at the time share, so why not get full value for your investment and stay in Crete. Add a couple of days in Athens at the beginning and end of your trip and you really do not have much time to do extensive island hopping.
Last summer we spent two great weeks on Crete and didn't even fully explore Western Crete so I do not see how you can do Crete, Santorini, another island and Athens.
Unless you are a travellor who just has to see absolutely everything in the shortest time possible my experience would suggest you might want to consider just slowing down and really taking time to enjoy Crete and each other.
If you must see another Island then Santorini is the perfect place as it is spectacular, but do not short change yourselves and try to do too much.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your timeshare is not in Chania, you could stay there on Crete, as well. It's very pretty and laidback.

If you want another island, Mykonos town is lovely, the quintessential Greek island look with white washed sugarcube houses, bright blue doors and railings and bright pink bougainvillea.

You will lose a bit of time travelling between the islands so maybe two islands is enough for a 2 week trip.
Kay
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM

From the greek islands that form the cyclades complex, i have visited Mykonos (too crowded) Syros, Santorini, Paros and Tinos(too "religious&quot. My favourite is Syros! It is the capital of the cyclades complex it has beautiful beaches and the best thing is that you can find both noisy and quiet places. It is also a very romantic island.Also, it is very easy to go from syros to delos, mykonos, tinos and athens (with a superfast ferry athens is only 4 hours away).I would definately suggest syros for a honeymoon period!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:59 AM

It's difficult to recommend an island without knowing your interests. The most popular islands get very busy during high season, so favorites such as Mykonos, Naxos, and Paros may not be the best choice.

Crete seems to have everything, and certainly deserves more than five days. That, combined with Athens and Santorini may be all you want.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

From your suggestions, and my own plotting, I think it sounds too rushed to do another island. So we're thinking of first going to Crete, for about 7 days, spend some time relaxing on the beach, and doing whatever else we decide to do. then maybe 3 days in santorini, and then a few days in athens.

Are there any sites that would be highly recommended? Particular scenic places to go for a hike? The best towns to visit? We're not looking for anything particular, just fun times and good memories.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM

IF you would tell us the general vicinity of your time share, we could better suggest enjoyable day trips. For example if the time share is in the extreme South East of the island, we would not suggest as a leisurely day drive a visit to Falassarna Beach (which Ilove but which is in the extreme North East).

If you decide to take a fast-ferry to Santorini, those leave from Heraklion every morning, so you would want to plan your trip to be in that vicinity the night before. That might affect the order in which you move around in Crete.

So share, about your share...
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Sorry I meant to say Falassarna is in the extreme North WEST corner of Crete. It's late...
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

We have options with out timeshare. We haven't decided on one yet, the options are in the following towns:

Rethymno
Koutouloufari
Agios Nikolaos
Makri Gialos
Chania

We were leaning towards Rethymno, because it seemed central enough that we could travel in either direction to visit places like Chania, or Irakleio. Any other recommendations though?