Greece, Turkey, and the islands of each

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 10:47 PM
Helena

Greece, Turkey, and the islands of each

I'm planning 20 days in Turkey and Greece in August/September, and need some advice. We'd like to see a bit of Turkey (will most likely fly into Istanbul), then move to the Turkish islands, then over to the Greek Islands (where we'd like to treat ourselves a bit with a nice hotel or two!) then up and back into Istanbul. Any ideas? We're planning on bringing minimal luggage, being very mobile, and to go on a budget for most of the trip. Thank you! Helena

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 10:43 AM
maria

Hi there. If you're thinking of visiting the Greek isles, you should consider the island of Crete. It is the biggest island of Greece, but very charming & doesn't attract as many tourist as other islands such as Rhodes, Mykonos & Santorini (although I've heard Santorini is beautiful). My boyfriend & I are actually heading there in a few weeks; I've got family in Crete.

I recommend the most western county of Hania (or Chania) - there are a total of 4. There are plenty of rooms for rent by the lighthouse in that town & nightlife (ie. cafes, etc.) are all along there as well. Hope you have a healthy appetite - greeks love big eaters!!

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 10:45 AM
elvira

If this is a repeat, pay it no mind:
I can't help you with Turkey, but I would recommend that you rent a small cottage/bungalow/villa on a Greek island and then ferry to other islands. We did this a couple of years ago, rented 2 cars about the size of the ones the clowns drive in the circus, and toured the island of Naxos. Ferries connect the islands regularly, and even though you are travelling light (we do too, with one rolling bag each), it's nice not to have to tote and unpack. We liked having a kitchen, a patio with a view of the ocean, and a backyard with a view of the mountains (complete with goats and goatherders!).

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Ken

We had a great time in Athens and the islands in Sept/Oct
In Athens I must recommend the Plaka hotel right slap bang in the middle of the plaka
In Santorini we spent the best week ever in Fanari Villas on Santorini
Dont forget some of the smaller islands. It is a great time of the year to be there. We hope to be back there again this year. Further details if you want ...just ask

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 07:30 AM
Lincoln

I went to Greece and Turkey back in October 1997. I also used Istanbul as my base. However, I didn't do any islands so I can't help you on that. Istanbil is one of my favorite cities in the world. Here is a list of must-see in the city: 1) Topkapi Palace: must see the Harem inside it. 2) Grand Bazaar 3) Suleymaniye Camii: the most beautiful of the three mosques 4) walk along the shores on the Galata. As for the rest of Turkey, Cappacdocia is the highlights of all of Turkey. Pamukkale is overrated.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 01:07 PM
Sally

Don't miss the island of Samos. It's close to Turkey, and fabulous with beautiful coastline and stunning mountains. We stayed in Pithagorio in a 1 br apartment on the water for USD $27 per night. I've heard that August is the high tourist season there, but it was perfect in June.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 04:41 AM
Ken

Hi Helena
We did Greece a couple of years ago...although only parts. We absolutely loved Athens and the Plaka..and we stayed in the Plaka hotel on the Plake. Very economical, very central and clean and accommodating.
The best parts were the islands. We had a week on Santorini where we stayed at the Fanari Villas which I will highly recommend!
We also went to the island of Mykonos. This was a wonderful island and we fully enjoyed it but the next time and there will be a next time we will visit some of the less popular islads and really soak up the atmosphere. Can supply more info if interested in relation to Greece
ken

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 11:00 AM
Catalana

Helena,

I did a trip from Athens, into the Greek islands, to Turkey and back to Athens about 8 years ago. If I had to do it again, I would do as you plan, start and end in Istanbul (it sounds like you don't plan to do Athens anyhow). Three things to keep in mind.
1. the ferries in Greece work on a hub system, so you can't always get from one island to another without going to a third. The two Greek islands in my experience that connect easily with Turkey are Samos and Rhodes. Both are lovely, if you want to go to other islands, check and plan your ferry connections carefully.

2. Your money will go further in Turkey.

3. If I had 20 days I would start in Istanbul and head down Turkey's Aegean coast, definitely go to Ephesus (near Kusadasi). Do what you like in Turkey (agree with above, Pamukale overrated, and Capadochia great -- but out of the way), then catch the ferry to Rhodes. See Rhodes and Lindos. Figure out a creative way via other islands to get to Samos and take ferry back to Kusadasi, and head back to Istanbul, or see if you can fly open jaws and fly home out of Athens. Have fun. Cat