Reload this Page >

Greece/Turkey 17 days Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 08:06 AM
Jennifer

I will be landing in Athens on July 16 and flying out of Istabul on August 3rd. I would like to spend the majority of my time in Turkey, but want to see a little of the Greek Islands. Any suggestions, particular favorites or what not to miss. Much appreciated. Jen

Old Apr 14th, 1998, 08:20 PM
Boris

You can cross over from Greece to Turkey at Rhodes (Marmaris,Turkey), Kos-Bodrum & Samos-Kusadasi. Rhodes & Kos are linked by ferry from Athens. While Santorini is beautiful it means doubling back to Athens to get the ferry to Rhodes. So I would suggest taking the ferry to Patmos & staying there a few days (possibly even visiting the small Greek island of Lipsos/Lipsi), then to Rhodes (but stay in the old town) & then crossing over to Marmaris. Stay at the Hotel Marmara near the port. Frequent buses run along the coast and inland. Go north to Kusadasi - the town near Ephesus (a must see). Troy is further north but disappointing. You can fly from Izmir to Istanbul or take the bus. If you want more info, contact me directly - I teach a course on travel to Greece & was in Turkey a few years ago.

Old Apr 22nd, 1998, 07:01 PM
DEE

SAW YOUR POSTING. I WILL BE SPENDING TWO DAYS IN ISTANBUL. I WOULD LIKE TO STAY IN A SMALL GUEST HOUSE IN THE OLD CITY - ANY SUGGESTIONS? WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I SEE. AND DO'S/DON'TS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THANX

Old Apr 22nd, 1998, 07:55 PM
boris

Dee,

In 2 days, suggest you see the Topkapi Palace, Saint Sofia, Blue Mosque, the underground cistern - all the same area. The Grand Bazaar and maybe take a ferry boat up the Bosphorus.

Old Apr 24th, 1998, 07:10 PM
michael

A wonderful hotel in Sultanhamet (the old city) is the Kybele. It is an old mansion and has TONS of atmosphere, as well as being relatively upscale, intimate, and beautiful. Don't miss a stay for a few days in Kas, with a trip to Kekova, the sunken Roman city (great for snorkeling), and a hike around the Lycean tombs.

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 08:29 AM
Pat

Has anyone been to Konya, Turkey? We expect to go by train if possible, from Istambul, Izmir or Ankara.
Suggestions where to stay and what to see welcome. Thanks.

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 08:36 AM
Pat

Has anyone been to Konya, Turkey? We expect to go by train if possible, from Istambul, Izmir or Ankara.
Suggestions where to stay and what to see welcome. Thanks.

Old Apr 25th, 1998, 08:44 AM
jay

Has anyone been on the Bosphorus tours? What is the approx. cost and timeframe? Thanks.