Greece: Transportation from Kyllini / Kilinni to Athens airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still debating between Peloponnese and Crete. But if I were to choose peloponnese, it would be to stay in Kyllini or Killini (spelling?)
How would I get from Killini to Athens airport in the morning Sunday May 1 if it matters? (Does it matter that it's Easter in Greece?)
What are my various travel options (couldn't find a flight, but I guess bus, taxi and other way?) and how much would it cost?
Why are there no flights from araxos to athens?
Thanks for your help
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 04:12 AM

Araxos is a military airport that is being used for limited charter flights from abroad.
The reason why you can't fly from Araxos to Athens, is that it is a very short distance of 270 km... which would be too short for a flight.

You can take a KTEL bus from Kyllini to Athens but....
The first bus leaves at 5 am ( if you have to catch a morning flight) and arrives at the bus station in Athens at 9:30 am.
From there you will have to take the express bus X 93 to the airport.
There are no direct buses connecting Kyllini with Athens, you will have to change bus at Lehena.

The price of the ticket is around 30 Euro.

If you have to catch a very early flight, i recommend spending the last night in Athens.
Please also note that the 1st of May is not only Easter Sunday but also Labour Day and there might be strikes, the Suburban Railway ( Proastiakos) has traditionally a 24 hours strike on that day, which is why the metro doesn't go all the way to the airport either, but stops at the Dukissis Plakentias station.

This has to be confirmed though, as the government postponed the celebration for May 1st for a couple of days, as it was falling on Easter Sunday....for that reason the strikes might take place on the 3rd of May... ( nothing has been announced yet)

You can use however the express bus lines, that operate 24/7 and are not affected.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 05:33 AM

You could finish off your trip on the island of Zakynthos, which is one hour by ferry from Kyllini. There are about three flights per day from Zakynthos to Athens. I wouldn't go to Zakynthos just for the flight, but the island has its attractions: http://www.greeka.com/ionian/zakynthos/
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks. so in the end, we chose crete. but next time I come to Greece, this info will come in handy!