Search

Greece on a honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece on a honeymoon

Hi,

I plan to travel Greece from the 1st May to 9th May for my honeymoon.
Wanted to cover 2 islands and also possible a cruise for 2-3 nights.

Looking for some water sports/adventure.

I have locked in Santorini and was searching for another island.

Need suggestions for this.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Also, I am not so keen on history as much as on the breath-taking views.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 08:17 AM

There are breathtaking views on the mainland, it doesn't get more fantastic than Meteora for instance, whether you are interested in the monasteries or not. Same with the Pelion area, there is not much history but the scenery is beautiful, Mama Mia was filmed in the area. And the Peloponnese.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Also Orthodox Easter is in May this year.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM

You can cover the islands by ferry instead of a cruise. That way you will actually get to stay on the islands rather than just have a quick look around while the cruise ship is in port. As Odin wrote you will be in Greece over Orthodox Easter, which will give you an opportunity to see the celebrations, but may complicate your planning.

Ferries to the islands will be busy in the days preceding Easter Sunday (May 5th), and busy again after the weekend when people return to the mainland. Normally pre-booking ferries for early May isn't necessary, but as you will be travelling during the Easter season it would be advisable.

Though you aren't interested in history, the views at many of the ancient sites can be described as breathtaking.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Odin and Heimdall.

I had not thought about the mainland except for Athens.
As of now, my plan was to reach Athens on the 1st May, head to Santorini/Mykonos immediately. spend 3 nights each on these 2 islands and then stay in Athens for 2 nights.

Well, a little bit of history is good enough for us .
I was aware of the Easter holidays and was afraid that I might miss out some deals which I might have availed otherwise. Also, I think, due to Easter, the prices would shoot up.

We wanted to experience a cruise, as we have never experienced it before.
Anyways, would be really grateful, if you could help us chalk a plan.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM

If you plan 3 nights each on Mykonos & Santorini and 2 nights in Athens, you won't have time for a cruise in your 1-9 May honeymoon. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 2-3 night cruise in the Greek Islands anyway.

Actually your plan sounds good, so I would stick with the 3 nights on Mykonos and 3 nights on Santorini, with the final 2 nights in Athens. It doesn't really matter which island you do first, but it usually works out best to start with the one furthest away (Santorini) and go there by connecting flight.

If you return to Athens from Mykonos you could get a little flavour of a cruise by taking Blue Star Ithaki to Piraeus. Book tickets in business class and you will have waiters in white coats providing table service. Any time you like you can walk out to the open deck for views, which will be fun when the ferry stops at Tinos and Mykonos.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Edit: "when the ferry stops at Tinos and <i>Syros".</i>
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Louis Cruises offers 3 days cruises from Athens ( Piraeus to be more precise),
Check out the website : http://tinyurl.com/c6g4tx4

Just note that there are fixed departures that may not fit in your initial planning
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Good info from clausar.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Heindall and Clausar.

I looked into the cruises and it actually doesnt fit into my iteniary. infact, according to me, 3-4 days on cruise and just touching the islands doesnt make sense. I think I would stick to the original plan and probably take the ferry from Athens to Santorini and then to Mykonos and in the end, back to Athens.

By the way, ferries or flight?? I would want to save on the cost here and spend the same on better hotels..

P.S: Now, I start with the hotel search and the ferries timing and cost.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:00 PM

Check the Aegean Airlines website. You might get lucky and find 'saver' fares for your island flights that sometimes compare to ferry ticket pricing. For example, the car ferry to Santorini charges €34 for an economy ticket. Aegean sometimes has tickets for €39, all taxes included.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:46 AM

Were it me, I would fly to Santorini and take the ferry from Mykonos back to Athens. There are several flights spaced throughout the day, so chances are you can find one that departs within a few hours of your arrival in Athens, getting you to Santorini the same day. You are travelling just when many Greeks will be heading to the islands for Easter, so will be lucky to get a saver fare.

Blue Star Ferries, the most popular option for Santorini, departs Piraeus at 07:25, and unless you have a very early arrival in Athens you will have to wait until the next day for that ferry. Blue Star takes about 8 hrs to Santorini.

Normally I would recommend avoiding Superjet, because it is very small and has a sketchy reliability record, but on 1st May it leaves Piraeus at 15:00, so if you arrive in Athens by around noon you would have time to make that ferry. Tickets are twice the price of Blue Star.

Whatever you decide to do, make your ferry or flight bookings early.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:55 AM

Hm.... 1st of May...
I am not sure everything would be running normally on that day...
Due to labour day, there may be a strike !!!!
This may also cause delays of flights....
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:16 AM

An afterthought: if going directly to Santorini doesn't work out, you could reverse the itinerary and do Mykonos first, then Santorini. There is a ferry from Rafina to Mykonos departing at 18:15 on 1st May, taking only 4 hrs. Rafina is closer to Athens Airport than Piraeus, and it would take about 30 minutes to get there by taxi. KTEL Attica buses leave from the airport to Rafina hourly throughout the day, and drop you off at the ferry docks.

Logistics are more or less the same whether you do Santorini > Mykonos or Mykonos > Santorini. The catamaran going between the two islands goes both ways, probably not running on Easter Sunday. The same Blue Star that leaves Piraeus in the morning returns from Santorini in the afternoon.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:19 AM

Clausar and I cross-posted. Yes, there is a possibility of strikes on 1st May, I had forgotten about Labour Day. Would the unions be so cruel as to strike just before Easter?
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:37 AM

Heimdall
it is quite possible, should they not strike the whole day, they will certainly strike at least for a few hours....

What i am afraid of is PAME, that is loyal to the communist party of Greece ( KKE) and quite radical..
Most of the strikes of seamen that were standing in front of the ships and didn't let anyone embark, were supported by PAME..

Will keep it in mind and will post about possible strikes, as soon as there will be more information about them.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Hello and congrats on your marriage!
Santorini is indeed a gorgeous island!

What I suggest is that you booked a sailing boat with a skipper (they are discreet, believe me) and explore gorgeous beaches of Santorini and other islands. The skipper will lead you to the best places to eat and maybe to lovely isolated beaches

Last year booked a boat from www.incrediblue.com to go to Kos island. Why don't you check it. It is also low season and it can prove quite cheap compared to June or July.

Best regards,
Jayden
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Jayden

You have been to so many places last year....
How are we sure that the skipper is really discreet?
and what if he's not?

Best Regards

Clausar
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM

Hey Clausar,

It is quite common to go on sailing vacation for honeymoon. So most of the skippers know how to treat their customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -