Greece Itinerary Help

Search

Greece Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece Itinerary Help

OK everyone has given great advice. Now I am trying to figure out an itinerary. There is SO much to see. We are the family with teen boys who like to poke around, look at ruins, eat, museums (but they have a limit), hike. Off the beaten path but of course need to see major sites since this will be the only family trip there. Prefer apartments to fancy hotels. We do like to see things but are not the checklist type: Parthenon CHECK, Acropolis CHECK

We are going in April Probably about April 7-19th give or take a day. Do not have tickets yet but will nail that down depending on itinerary.

How to make this all work? Too much? Not enough? Which places do we need to stay over at and which can be from a base.
We will drive.

1. Keeping in mind Easter Sunday things will be closed (would it be better to end in Athens and be there for Easter since a lot will be closed in smaller towns? ).

2. Nafplio and use as a base for a few sites.

3. A few days Peloponnese. Would like a quiet base to maybe hike and explore around? Maybe Kardamyli or? ______________.

3. Should we stay overnight in Olympia? ?

4. Maybe a day trip to Spetses or Hydra or Aegina. Although if other things are more interesting, we can skip that

5. Meteora

6. Ancient Messini

7. Delphi

Any advice on how to fit this all in and what order? Hidden Gems I don't know about that we swear we won't be the obnoxious American and ruin it for you!

Advice for any tours that would be worth booking in advance? (Was so happy someone on the boards alerted us to the Secret Itineraries Tour last year in Venice).

THANK YOU.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:35 PM

Do you fly out from home on the 7th and fly home on the 19th, or are those all days in Greece? It makes a big difference. Your wishlist will be difficult to fill in 12 days and impossible if some of your days are flying days.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Good point. We will fly out of NY on the 7th and fly out of Athens on either the 19th or 20th.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 07:38 PM

So you arrive on the 8th, and that will probably be late enough in the day that pretty much all you will be able to do is check into your hotel and get something to eat. That means your first real day will be Easter, and all the sights will be closed. I can't really advise on how to handle Easter. The time I was in Greece over Easter, I was on an island where all there was to do was walk around enjoying picturesque villages and beautiful scenery, which is never closed to the public. I don't find Athens particularly atmospheric as a city and wouldn't quite know what to do with a day there when the sights are closed. If the ferries are running to Hydra and you can get there and back, that would probably be the ideal outing, as it's entirely an outdoor destination.

On the way to Nafplio, consider stopping in Corinth and/or Nemea. Once there, you can easily get to Mycenae, Midea, Tiryns, and Epidaurus - do not miss this last! Allow at least three nights here.

I drove from Nafplio to Olympia with a short stop in Dimitsana and saw the ancient site that afternoon. I left in the morning for Delphi and was there in time to see the museum and the Pronaia of Athena, which is free. I saw the main site the next morning. I spent that day visiting Delphi, Arachova, and a little backtrack to Galaxidi, which I missed the turn-off to on my way up to Delphi - very pretty little town. But you could skip those and drive up to Meteora in the afternoon.

You will definitely want two nights at Meteora, so you have a full day there. It is a substantial drive back to Athens, and you will want more than a morning, especially considering the drive time to get there and back. You might want to linger a day or two more for hiking, as the area is absolutely stunning regardless of the monasteries.

I haven't personally been anywhere in the Peloponnese for hiking, nor ancient Messene, so can't advise there. But the part I can advise on:

Athens, 2 nights? Hydra?
Nafplio, 3 nights
Olympia, 1 night
Delphi, 1 night
Meteora, 2 nights
Athens again, 3 nights/2 days

There's your 11/12 days. This is already fairly brisk, and I don't think you could fit anything else in unless you take something out.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 11:51 PM

Easter is the 16th April.
If it's the same as many flights from NY you arrive around 9am I think? If You do go to Nafplion first it is up to you whether you feel you can drive there the same day (2hrs)
The difficulty is trying to be in one place for Easter, so I think you can do it this way, rushed, but fits in all you want to do.
3 nights Nafplion, 8/9/10th
1 night Kalamata area (for Ancient Messini) 11th
1 night Olympia, 12th
1 night Delphi 13th
2 nights Meteora 14/15th, the two most important evenings of Easter.
Travel back to Athens on Easter Sunday, maybe after a look at the feasting in kalambaka, the traffic will be lighter on this day as everyone is where they want to be for the celebrations.
Remaining nights in Athens.
Scroll to the bottom of this page for a bit of info on Easter at Meteora,
http://visitgreece.gr/en/culture/easter_at_meteora

The only thing I might consider changing is the 3 single night stays in a row, maybe stay 2 nights between Kalamata & Olympia (Zacharo?) & visit one on each day, it will make the journey to Delphi a bit longer, but save one lot of packing, unpacking, checking in & out. For this trip travel as light as you can, it will make it much easier!

If I were to omit anything to lighten this itinerary it would be Olympia, of your choices it is my least favourite. I have been to all the sites, some numerous times, especially Ancient Messini as they are still digging there. Approx 15 holidays & living on the Peloponnese for 7 years I used to go annually, due another visit soon There is one other option I would consider in place of Olympia, certainly different & not known to many tourists, not too far from Anciant Messini, & that is Agia Theodora, a fascinating small church with trees growing out the roof, with no visible signs of roots inside! While there you can walk a short way along by the river to a taverna & working flour mill.
The story of the church here,
http://neromylos-nikola.gr/Saint-Theodora.htm
If you choose this option you could spend a couple of nights doing both Agia Theodora & Ancient Messini, staying in Meligala, just an ordinary town, but positioned between the 2 sites. Again it would mean an early start & long drive to Delphi, but worth it to see something so different
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 10:24 AM

Yiassas, once again, what a wise and knowledgeable itinerary "tweak" As you note, it makes a big difference to locate Easter on the correct Sunday! I also agree with you on every major point, so will simply re-inforce...

• Since they fly from NYC, that's the shortest possible flight, so a good jolt of Espresso at the airport should revv them up enough to drive to Nafplio with ease (and almost no traffic)

• Since I also agree with Yiassas that omitting Olympia will greatly simplify the itinerary, I think that, en route to Nafplio, only 5 miles off the big Intercity highway, is a wonderful substitute -- NEMEA. Unless you are serious history buffs who want to study specific exhibits in Olympia Museum, NEMEA provides all the rest. "Runner-up" as a Sacred Games site, it has lovely ruins, a small museum and a Stunning Stadium w. an athletes tunnel to parade thru, & actual starting blocks for ancient racers! Your twins will love it. Authentic excavation/repair by UCal Berkeley & every 4 years hosts a revived Games that THOUSANDs compete in -- here's a website http://nemeangames.org - to revv up your teens.

• Since u say your guys like poking around & exploring, Nafplio/Argolid area is TOPS in Greece for this, IMHO. In nafplio alone -- THREE castles! (in the bay, acronafplia atop the town, & huge Gibralter-rock behind town topped with Palamidi fort. Nafplio's super (& small) arch. museum right on times square has world's ONLY Iliad-era suit of armor (Achilles' outfit!). & outside town, Tiryns is a great Fort to scramble around on. This wonderful noncommercial website http://www.visitnafplio.com is your best online source for the whole Argolid, but I do encourage a good guidebook (I like Rough Guide)... IN-depth background, & maps on All your destinations, plus super phrase-book & food sections. NOTE: u can get used copies cheep-cheep on Amazon, and just pull out the Sections you'll use, & make duct-tape "spines", then no need to lug a thick book. U can save the unused parts for your NEXT trip to Greece!

• DO use a detailed map to plan your route: Heres my online favorite - http://euro-map.com/karty-grecii/pel...eloponnesa.jpg - it shows every place on your list except stops just short of Delphi on mainland. It can help you think about the best route after Nafplio, to avoid overlong drive between Western side of Pelopponese & Delphi. When making decisions & planning time I like https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes - plug in your 2 places & it shows routes, drive times, AND cost in petrol & tolls.

• Bookings - "the 2 most important nights of easter" = these are what u need to book FIRST; then Athens nights. If u do airbnb, beware "falling in love" with a dream apt that's way out, or in a grungy nabe. This map - http://www.orangesmile.com/destinati...ns-map-big.jpg - is my fave only (click & it gets Huge). Try to book in areas circling Acropolis so you can walk everywhere. Other places may be 20-30 less per night but taxi rides will eat up those savings.

• Day-Trip Finale - In Athens, after Must-Do Sights, if you end up with a spare sunshiny day and still want that Island & ferry experience -- I recommend Aegina! Jump on Green Line metro (30 mins from Central Athens) to Piraeus, & at any ticket agency buy soonest REGULAR ferry (NOT a hydrofoil; those are enclosed, you want open decks). Sit outside, enjoy view of harbor, giant ships, tiny sailboats,seagulls etc, for a relaxing hour. Charming port town, & u can bus or do car rental to center of island for a FAB!! temple on high hill .. drive or walk downhill to beach town for lunch ... back to port for snacks & browsing backstreets, & catch a sunset ferry back. This neat photo album (photographed in June) https://www.flickr.com/photos/362647...646139/detail/ shows how fascinating the water views are from ferry.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

This is so helpful!! OK will dump Olympia. Will book my plane ticket and book easter in Meteora THIS WEEKEND! QUESTION Any suggestions for a great place to stay in Meteora? Finding places to sleep four is not as straight forward.

I love ruins but i know I need to mix it up a bit with 13 year olds. QUESTION: Should I try to slip in Monemvassia? We like to do a lot but are not the check box type of family: Acropolis: CHECK.

QUESTION: Tour guides you like? I regret not having a tour guide at the forum and felt like a stalker eavesdropping on other tours. So the occasional tour guide would be great.

This is the one year I can pull them out of school in NYC without a big penalty. Of course, I am also trying not to break the bank with hotels/apartments/eating (they are boys and eat a lot). So trying to figure out how many more days I can eke out of this trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 04:59 PM

For Meteora I would stay in Kastraki rather than Kalamabaka, the Plakias guesthouse has a quad room, http://meteora-plakias.gr If you can't get booked there do make sure you eat in their taverna
If they are not available check out all options on booking.com even if you have to book two twin rooms. I think Zoza rooms has a quad too, not sure about others, but play with the search for both quad & twin, it might already be a case of what is left available
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 05:01 PM

The whole week before Easter will get booked at many places, so check out all the accommodation you need as soon as possible.
No time for Monemvassia unless you cut something else!
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 07:53 PM

If you wanted to slip in Monemvassia you'd have to drop the drive West to Messinia ... it's just a choice. Then, after Nafplio, drive down to Monemvasia, then back to Nafplio ara, then east across the "thumb" of Pelops to catch Epidaurus (theatre a MUST!!), then up to Corinth & quickie stop to check out canal -- then on to Delphi.

Yiassas knows whereof she speaks re Easter AND weeks before/after booking up FASTTT! U have to realize that Impact of Greek Easter is Christmas + Thanksgiving + 4th July combined. Everything gets Booked Solid! I agree w. her on Kastraki. Also re rooms: in various places you might have to get 2 adjoining rooms; your guys could handle it; tuck them in & give them a phone for the night.

Re budget & boys eating; good to have apt, but even if you don't, almost all Greek lodgings outside Athens have an in-room room FRidge & a little table; most family travelers stop by local supermarket (there's a GREAT little one in Nafplio right by post office), buy snacks, sandwich fixings, fruit, drinks... and there's lunch! (or picnics, if the weather's fine). It's also great if you have long busy day & are too pooped to do dinner out.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

So many great tips. Ok tell me if I am crazy. I don't want to be going non stop. Yet I want to see a lot.
Land in Athens on Friday April 7th and drive straight:

Nafplion (nights of 7, 8, 9) see Epidaurus, Mycenae, Nemia?

April 10: Drive to Mystras (2 hours), look at site and continue on to Monevassia and spend the night. Open to changing this to something else.

April 12? not sure. Looks like a ton of driving. So maybe break up the trip to Delphi?

April 13 Delphi

April 14 and 15 Meteora

Easter head to Athens (April 16, 17, 18)

Fly home the 19th.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:06 AM

FRom Monemvasia, you could drive back to Corinth area, stop for the Canal look-see (you can't see it from the Biggie Highway), then go to Loutraki, which is on the North side of the Isthmus ... a sorta beach town ... spend the night & get up early next AM for drive to Delphi -- you have to go back over the isthmus to the turnoff where you go N.W. -- the map shows clearly.
If you got to Delphi by 11 or so, you COULD leave in afternoon to get to Meteora. All depends. Use online trip-planners.

Monemvasia -- A friend says the whole thrill is staying in old castle-like buidlings, feeling like a pirate. There are also small pensions in village at the land-end of the causeway.

EASTER -- DO check ahead as to what's open!! THat was one reason to do the Athens sightseeing the weekend before!! Yes, things closed on 16th but ALSO maybe on Easter Monday too!!
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:46 AM

The reason I scheduled Athens at the end is because there is more open on Easter Monday (not everything) than around the rest of the country & that day could be used for places like Mars Hill, changing of the guard, Lykavettos Hill etc.

April 10-12th, not Ancient Messini now & possibly Agia Theodora? None of the other Americans I know have been there
The reason I chose that way was to make it possible to drive to Delphi, still long, but easier than from Monemvasia. If you do want to include Mystras & Monemvasia it does make that move to Delphi more of a trek.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

OK OK maybe Monemvasia sounds like not enough to do...

so ok Ancient Messini back on the table. I am getting seriously really confused with all the sites and cities starting with M.

Got our placed booked for Meteora. Will look for a place to stay today in Nafplion.

You all have been super helpful with this planning.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary and this time I plugged in all the locations reviewed all the great suggestions and I still think maybe too much because it includes one day of 5.5 hours of driving. My husband loves to drive. Kids not so much. There is so much to see.

Arrive 4/7 and get car and drive straight to Nafplion

4/8-/4/9 Nafplion (Mycenae, Epidaurus, Nemea). Maybe not enough time to see it all.

4/10 Mystras (stay over here or move on to Mani Peninsula late in day and stay there to get a full day on the 11th on Mani peninsula?)
4/11 Mani Peninsula (seems way too short)
4/12 Leave mid day for the 5.5 hour drive to Delphi
4/13 Delphi (stay over)
4/14 Meteora
4/15-4/16 Meteora
4/16 Easter: Drive to Athens
Fly out 4/19
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 02:03 PM
kja

If there is <b>any</b> chance that you will have jet lag -- and since you are flying from NY, that is very likely -- I would strongly encourage you to take public transportation for your first night or two. There is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and <b>nothing</b> you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 08:29 PM

kja, if they get that delta flight, its one of the shortest, it's about 11 hours nonstop (plus 7hr clock-change) arrives about 9:30 am they're a youngish couple, and if they knock back a couple of espressos they should do fine... I'm an Old Party and have been taking the nonstop for a decade, and make it thru the first day alert, on adrenalin. And after an early night, next day will be A-OK. and besides 2nd day probably will be browsing around Old Town.

Of course I wouldn't suggest difficult drives in heavy traffic, but that drive to Nafplio is about 2 hrs 15 mins on a divided highway most of the way, the last 20 miles or so on local roads, will hve NO traffic in early April.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 08:35 PM
kja

Again, microsleeps have nothing to do with the amount of time one sleeps en route and are totally uncontrollable, by caffeine or anything else. Frankly, anyone who says "they had no problem" is simply saying that they were lucky -- as were all other people on the road at the time. I'm sure you don't realize it, but suggesting that someone would be safe driving with jet lag is as bad as telling someone to go ahead, drink, drive.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:37 PM
kja

BTW, travelerjan, the effects of jet lag are only now beginning to be understood. The comments you offered would have been consistent with the state of evidence not all that long ago. Personally, I think we are all fortunate that we now have better information about risks and how to manage them. JMO.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks and will take that under advisement but we have driven after flights to Japan. Not ideal at all but I think we want to just get to our location. If my husband feels he can't do it, we will try to check into a hotel.

Travelerjan is my latest itinerary nuts? The Mani peninsula seems like a really beautiful place to see and this would break up some of the ruins with some natural beauty for the boys. Just wish there was a way around that 5.5 hour drive to Delphi but.... maybe we make a pit stop and break it up a bit.As someone suggested the canal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -