Greece + Italy questions!

Old Mar 7th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece + Italy questions!

Hi! This is just a rough draft of my travel plan. I will be flying from UK so I won't be concerned much about jetlag. I arrive March 25th and depart April 23rd
Week 1 Athens + Santorini
Week 2 Venice + Dolomites
Week 3 Bologna + Cinque Terre + Florence
Week 4 Naples + Amalfi Coast + (Sorrento?)

I have questions regarding Greece. Do i have to bring lots of euros before i arrive? Because many google articles just link back to their economic crisis in 2014/15. Also do they check for valid licenses if i rent an ATV in santorini? B/c a friend that recently went said they didn't check for ID of any kind. I would like to know if 3 days in Athens and another 3 days for Santorini is more than enough to spend in both areas. Is it reasonable for me to go to a nearby city or town (from athens) because i feel like i would explore most of the main attractions in athens in one day.

For Italy, where should i stay in dolomites region? What do i miss by using public transportation(bus/train) instead of driving? Also my week 3 may result in a shorter week 4. Also where is the best place to stay for Cinque Terre? I'm pretty sure it would take me at least one day to visit all 5 towns and enjoy the view of each town. Is it better if i go to cinque terre from Bologna or from Florence?

I am open to any suggestions and advice whether it's Italy or Greece. Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 06:30 AM

A few points about Greece:

All the ATMs are full of euros, and there has never been a problem for tourists getting as many as their own bank allows, even during the so-called crisis a few years ago. Many British travellers buy euros in the UK before their trip to avoid paying bank charges for ATM withdrawals, so check what your own bank will charge. I have a US account, and buy all my euros in Greece.

You will be asked to show a valid driver's license by any reputable rental agency. Without a valid driver's license your insurance will be null and void, and you could get in trouble with the police. I would be very wary of renting from an agency that doesn't check IDs for fear of being ripped off when the ATV is returned. After all, you are hardly likely to go to the police and admit you were driving without a license!

If you plan to go to Santorini you should fly, because conventional ferries take most of a day each way. There will be no highspeed ferries until mid-April, and they aren't much faster anyway. Also remember that March/early April is still off season, so it will be very quiet on Santorini, and possibly cloudy and cool.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 08:32 AM

I agree with Heimdall. Do NOT carry large amounts of cash. Withdraw what you need from an ATM when you need to.

Regarding bank charges for using an ATM, if you use the right UK bank debit cards you will pay nothing to use the ATM and there will be no exchange loading either.

Read here to see what you as a traveller from the UK need to know about which cards to have and use.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...l-credit-cards

Regarding renting an ATV. Since you are asking should we presume you do not have a valid driving license? If so, it would be very stupid to rent anything. Are you smart or stupid?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 09:22 AM

"For Italy, where should i stay in dolomites region?"
For snow shoe walking or ski tours? April is a bit late for that.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

i only asked about ATV because i heard bus are rather infrequent

@neckervd i'm not visiting for ski tours. mostly for hiking and sightseeing
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Week 3 has quite a lot to see in only seven days.
Dolomites-look at Ortisei.