Greece in June/July

Mar 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Greece in June/July

Hi,
We are considering a trip to Greece in June/July for two weeks. Not sure if it is too late to book. Also, having trouble fixing where we want to go. Thinking of Athens and Santorini. Would like expert opinion on whether we could do Istanbul, Turkey too. Or would it be better to add another place in Greece? Would an island other than Santorini be a better choice? Any pointers to good sites for looking for accommodation, transportation etc?
One reason for thinking of Greece is our 12 year old's love of the Percy Jackson books!

Thanks in advance,
Ciny
Mar 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM

No, it's not too late to book. No reason why you couldn't fit Istanbul in if you limit your time in Greece and fly from Athens to Istanbul.

Would an island other than Santorini be a better choice? Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends on what you are interested in, and you've given few clues. If your son is interested in Greek mythology, maybe Paros or Naxos with a day trip to Delos: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/greece/delos ;-)
Mar 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the response. I hadn't researched into Paros or Naxos at all. It really helps us get started.
Mar 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM

As a teacher of Greek history to 12-year-olds, some places I think your son would like to see are the Acropolis to pay homage to Athena, and be sure to visit the new Acropolis museum and the National Archeological Museum. Also, I would take him to visit Delphi to see the Temple of Apollo and pay homage to Poseidon at Cape Sounion. You can drive to Mount Olympus or to the Peloponnesus to visit Corinth, Naufplion, Mycenae, and Epidaurus. If you visit the islands, Santorini is more revered for the wonderful views rather than mythological sites. On the island of Paros, there is a small historical museum in Parikia and you can take a day trip to Delos.
Istanbul is an amazing city with very interesting historical sites, particularly the mosques. Adding Istanbul is a lot to pack into two weeks. We just spent a week there and there was plenty to do. Plus, at that time of year in Turkey, you might want to visit the islands nearby or go down the coast. Istanbul is a distance from Greece particularly if you are out in the Cyclades. Personally, I'd recommend two separate trips. There is so much to see and do in both countries. In Greece, a tour on the mainland and 1-2 islands would be what I think you ought to consider.
Mar 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

I certainly appreciate your insight. Helps a lot in planning. Of course the biggest hurdle for us seems to be the flight ticket prices for summer

Still, if there are recommendations on where to find good accommodation, please do post. Thanks!
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM

ci, do not think that the flight ticket prices are high because you did not book earlier -- this years prices are breaking records, and very few "promotional price" tickets appear. In past years, there was a "price break period" in January or so, where the flights out of NY and Philla would go down a few hundred. Not this year. Oil is $105 a barrel, remember.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

I know. It is getting way too expensive to fly, or even drive! Certainly hope to make that trip not in a too distant future.
Thanks again!!

Search this Thread