Greece in December

Search

Greece in December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2023, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece in December

Hi, I have a journey to Asia at the start of December which allows me the chance to spend 4 to 5 days in Greece. I've never been to Greece and plan on visiting again in the summer in the future but am wondering if a few days in December are worth it?! And if so, what would be open and would make for good winter stops. THANK YOU!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 04:15 PM

I have never visited in the winter but I read a trip report not that long ago about someone who visited Athens at that time and it sounded wonderful (might have been Tripadvisor forum). I'd suggest Athens and Nafplio (or just Athens if you have less than 5 days or want something more relaxed). Thessaloniki or Chania would be other options if your flight takes that route but I would not travel to either if you have to travel via Athens, with so short a time. I guess I'm saying I'd choose the larger towns rather than rural or islands if you have only a few days and it's winter - but that's just what I'd do.
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 06:11 PM

From what I understand, most of the islands close up during the winter months. Many of the restaurant workers, etc. return home to Athens and other places on the mainland for the winter months. So I would think the islands would be dead in the winter. I think Athens would be wonderful with fewer tourists. Athens is the capital of Greece so obviously everything is open year round: ancient sites, museums, restaurants, etc.

I love Nafplio, and the ancient ruins of Mycenae and Epidaurus, which are close to Nafplio, are open year round. Nafplio is about a 2-hour drive from Athens airport. I do agree with dreamon, however, that if you have less than 5 days, I think staying in Athens the whole time would be more enjoyable and relaxing. Nafplio is absolutely gorgeous during the warm weather months when the bougainvillea are blooming and you can dine outdoors overlooking the harbor. I would save it for nicer weather.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 07:21 AM

Athens (or ATH plus Nafplio) or Thessaloniki seem like they would be the obvious choices.
In spring or fall, I'd feel the pull to get out into the countryside, so I'd relish to opportunity to enjoy these cities for the history and culture.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 09:18 PM
mjs

We have visited Athens and Crete in late November and early December once. Enjoyed staying in Chania and wandering around the island which really appears not to shut down much during our time. Too cold to swim and the S Gorge was closed but the weather was quite pleasant. Do not however think you have enough time for Crete. Athens should be good for your time.