Greece in April

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Sue

Greece in April

We travel frequently to Europe and always had our reservations made in advance. But we are playing with an idea of going to Greece in April for two weeks without any reservations. Well, maybe we will reserve our room in Athens for three nights. Is it possible to find a nice places to stay without advance reservations? We will be visiting Crete and the mainland
Anyone had an experience arriving in Greece without reservations? Thanks for your opinion

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Eleonore

I am interested in getting the answer to this question as well. Please!!!!!!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Mimi

We also travel frequently to Europe and always in April and Nov. without reservations for most of the trip. We always have a reservation in the city we arrive in and the one that we leave. One year we did 28 days mainly without reservations and encountered no problems. I carry a guide book and often use the reservation booth at the train station. I suggest the hotels and they do the calling for a small price. In Greece we stayed in Rhodes without reservations and I told the taxi driver where I wanted to go using my guide book before. He of course tried to take me to a hotel of his choice but I insisted that I had a reservation and that was that. No trouble getting a great room in April for $32 a night, very clean, great location, good breakfast, etc. We did reserve in the Plaka section of Athens for that is where we were leaving from.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 01:28 PM
theodora

I travelled in May without any reservations except for the first days when I arrived in Athens. I never made any reservation when I was in Crete, and found that you get better deals just coming off the ferry when you go to the islands then when you advance book. On the islands, the hotel representatives are waiting outside the ferry docks and are all trying to compete, so you get very good deals.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Sue

Thank you Mimi so much. It was worthy to wait a whole week to get your answer. And this is what we are going to do. We will reserve a hotel in Plaka for 3 nights and then travel to Crete without any reservations.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Sue

And thank you Theodora for assuring me that I will be OK to travel in April without any reservations except in Athens of course