Greece and Greek Isles

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece and Greek Isles

My husband and I want to go to Greece and see the Greek Isles. We are both 74, but able to get around, we are in pretty good shape, him more than me.
weíve been to Italy 4 times, and we love it, but we really want to see Greece and a few of the Greek Isles. We donít want to do a tour, but we will do a few individual tours on the islands. Our biggest concern is getting to the islands, and getting around them. Can anyone help us with these issues?
Thanks in advance,
Barb.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 05:49 AM

There are more than 60 Greek islands with good touristic infrastracture. All can be reached by ferry, some of them by plane
Big and popular Islands like Rhodos or Crete have big and extended bus networks, others only few bus lines to the main places and beaches.
It's up to you to make a choice!

Old Jun 19th, 2022, 07:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I donít recall any tours on the islands but I wasnít looking for one. Maybe to a winery? They arenít terribly large except Crete and Rhodes. Which islands interest you?
Mare you also planning to visit the Peloponnesean Peninsula?
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 07:20 PM

Sounds like maybe you need to do a bit more research to figure out what you want to see and do and what appeals to you. I used Lonely Planet, Fodors, and Michelin Green Guide books for planning. We just returned from Greece at the end of May. This was our itinerary which provided a lot of diversity: Santorini, Naxos, Nafplio on the Peloponnese Peninsula and AThens. You can take the ferry to the islands, and in some cases you can fly to some islands. Not all of them have airports.

We flew directly to Santorini from Boston, with a stop-over in Zurich. We took the Blue Star Ferry from Santorini to Naxos. We flew from Naxos to Athens Airport where we picked up our rental car and drove 2 hours to Nafplio.

We rented a car for a day to see Santorini, and rented a car for a day to drive around Naxos. My husband did all the driving and he said it was very easy. I am 72 and he is 75 so in your age bracket.