Great TV series set in Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent some time this summer in Scotland and fell in love with the gorgeous scenery. When we returned, a family friend with a daughter who lives in Scotland suggested we watch the "Monarch of the Glen" TV series - available on DVD at our local library. We are several episodes in and love it! If you are planning a trip to Scotland, have been and want to re-live it, or if you are just looking for a great Scottish TV show to watch, I recommend "Monarch of the Glen."

Cheers!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I have been watching it for several months and am up to series 4. I first learned of it in the lounge here. CJ
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Does it come with subtitles? <g>
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Lennyba,

No, but my parents watch with the closed captioning on because the accents make it difficult for them to understand at times.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Another series that I've watched was Hamish MacBeth which was set in Plockton. Cute show, especially if you like Robert Carlyle.

I've only caught a couple of episodes of Monarch, but we spent a little time in the Cairngorms in 2004 and it is beautiful.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM

My local PBS station carried Monarch while it was an active series. It is a great "feel good" show. Each episode has problem that grows until everyone works together to find a solution by the end. It sets a good example!

lennyba, I watch it and get most of the dialogue. I guess I watch enough British comedies and shows on PBS, learning the accents from hearing them enough times. When my hubby comes in, he can hardly understand any at all
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM

I rented this series from Nexflix. Couldn't wait to get each disc. Loved it. I was sorry when it was over.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM

What a great excuse to go back to Scotland - must brush up on my language skills so I can watch tv!

We're currently watching via Netflix a series we first caught while in Edinburgh last year - Hotel Babylon (yes, I know it's set in London). Great soapy fun.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM

I love Monarch of the Glen. My local library has all 7 seasons on DVD. I'd take out a season and sit glued to the TV watching episode after episode. It was wonderful! Did anyone notice that they never filmed in bad weather LOL. One series had an interview with Susan Hampshire that was interesting. And the Julian Fellowes (plays Kilwillie) wrote the screenplay for Gosford Park.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Try Balamory
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM

<<Try Balamory>>

Whats the story in Balamory???

Geordie
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:18 PM

Wouldn't you like to know!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM

The BBC have been running a series about a real-life Scottish estate:

http://www.alladale.com/latest-news/...narch_bbc.html

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I just added Monarch of the Glen to my Netflix queue. Thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:03 AM

How about Taggart or Rebus?

Then they could watch Rab C. Nesbitt, Chewin' The Fat & Still Game

And to round it off a couple of episodes of The White Heather Club - or anything with Jackie Bird (who scares me more than Palin)
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:27 AM

scotlib - I can usually understand most of the accent, but I'm always translating for my sister. Even when we're in Scotland, she'll turn to me and I provide the translation!

It works the other way, too. When we were in Scotland last month I had one shop owner ask me to repeat myself as he couldn't understand my accent....

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Apologies in advance for the slight diversion I'm making here - from Scotland to Ireland - but if you like 'Monarch', I think you'll also like 'Ballykissangel' set in a village in rural Ireland.
The characters are wonderful (especially the earlier seasons), the writing, acting and storylines part-funny, part poignant, all heartwarming.
Some PBS Stations still carry it on Saturday nights.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Monarch of the Glen has been one of my favorite series for years - they are all available on Netflix. For those old Doctor Who fans, Tom Baker is a character in the last several seasons.

I like Ballykissangel, Hamish MacBeth and Hotel Babylon as well, but IMHO, Monarch 'rules' (pun definitely intended).

The scenery in the series is breathtaking. I really wanted to take a detour on our trip to visit Ardvereckie (sp?) Estate, where it was filmed, but didn't want to take a detour (2 hours each way) to see a house I couldn't get inside

Many of the actors in the series I have seen elsewhere. If you remember a Britcom series called Good Neighbors, that's the father in Monarch - Hector McDonald (Richard Briers). He was also in Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. Molly McDonald was in Forsythe Saga, Paul was in Coupling for a couple episodes, and lots of bit characters are sprinkled about.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM

When I was a wee tot in the early 70s, I remember Susan Hampshire in a series called 'The Pallisers'. It was a period piece and I remember my young eyes being constantly transfixed to her buxom bodice !

I love the earthiness / realness of the Ballykissangel characters and the humour has me laughing no end. Ambrose and Niamh have an interesting story arc...which reminds me, why are so many Irish names pronounced so differently from the way they are written ?

How do you pronounce this one : Aine Ni Mhuiri ? (Kathleen in the series)
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Because those names are Gaelic (think of the difference between Sean and Shawn - one is the Gaelic spelling, the other the English).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -