SouthWestern Ireland in 8 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking at an 8-day trip to Ireland. We'll be flying into Shannon and I would prefer to stay on and tour only that part of the country. Looking for suggested itineraries online, I can't find any that support our needs - each one starts in Shannon, but ends in Dublin.

I know we'll need to do some driving to visit the various sites, but am really looking to minimize the amount of driving and maximize the amount of time we are able to be a part of Ireland's towns and culture.

Does anyone know of a suggested itinerary that begins and ends in Shannon, hits some of the major sites, but allows us downtime in some of the better towns?
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 07:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you looking for a tour? If not do it yourself.
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Shannon-A...Dingle-Ireland

Fly into Shannon, rent a car and go to Killarney for several nights or to Dingle. If you want to see the Burren and cliffs then add Doolin for a couple of nights. Doolin has the ferry to the Aran Islands. Adare is a favorite of some also.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 09:22 AM

Write that type of itinerary once or twice a month. Of course I'm not a published travel guru just someone who actually lives just under an hour from SNN and offers a range of Ireland advice on the forums and facebook.

Depends if you want to see the Ireland that tourists see as above or if you have individual tastes and don't mind bumping into the odd local or two?

Eight days isn't long so sticking to the south west corner makes for a good starting point, there are tours that cover the whole island in that amount of time!

Give a clue on on the places you do want to see and an idea of what you want to experience and you will get a wide range of advice on this and other forums. And no you don't need a car for a whole lot of places particularly the regular tourist spots but a car can be helpful if you want to explore off piste.

http://www.journeyplanner.transportf...T2?language=en Is the Irish transport search site.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 05:02 AM

http://www.travelpod.com/members/jjarnold

"7 days...." "Granny's Lucky 7" and "Lucky horseshoe" are all or part of the southwest.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Tony, We loved our time in Westport. We did climb Crough Patrick and felt if for several days after.

Look at Sneem also
http://www.sneem.com/
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Thing is with Westport its not really geared public transport wise to get around without a car. Croagh Patrick (above my physical ability these days) at about 6 hours? really draws 2 nights. However that also gives time for a bit of the Greenway or Achill and north Mayo. Might be stretching the South West?

Pleased you enjoyed your time there, hope you had a clear day.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Tony, It was our only clear sunny day out of five nights there! We took the train from Dublin to Westport.
We used McGing's taxi and they took the five of us on tours for thirty an hour which wasn't bad. They took us and picked us up from the ferry when we went to Clare. It took us seven hours but we stopped a lot on the climb. Some people passed us coming and going....
But don't think Gotta_Travel wants to do Mayo. I'm ready to go back because the pubs, hiking even in the rain were great. Really the nicest people there.