Great food-Not so great biz practices in San Seb

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We had lunch at Kotoxa wanting to take advantage of their degustation lunch special which is offered several weekedays at lunch for about 45€ http://www.restaurantekokotxa.com/home.php. Food was absolutely delicious perhaps the best we had in Spain, but their business practices leave a bit to be desired.

We arrived and in the window was the degustation menu special clearly displayed. We were seated and given 2 menus in English with no mention of the special menu so we inquired. The response, "Oh, that menu is not in English." We replied that we preferred it and they brought us the degustation menu. When it was time to pay we were offered the "opportunity" to pay in USD which we declined. As I said, the food was outstanding and the service itself was okay, but those 2 instances left me wondering about whether I would want to patronize a business that appeared to deliberately deceive its customers, as least its English speaking ones. If u decide to eat there, be sure to speak up and ask for the degustation lunch special if that's what u want. Its offered Tuesday thru Fridays at lunch.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you find this recommended in one of Maribel's guides?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

I learned about the the special menu at the restaurant thru one of Maribel's posts on a thread by someone going to San Seb and asking for restaurant recommendations. I imagine it's one of the recommended restaurants in her guide, but don't remember offhand.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM

You have been to a restaurant in Spain. You can expect that they have menus in Spanish (and in Basque). You cannot expect that they have menus in English.

It is a special service if a restaurant offers a translated menu for English-speaking guests. It is very plausible that they have a translation for their à-la-carte dishes only, because they simply do not have the capacity for translating the daily changing degustation menu.

It has nothing to do with "deceiving". And I cannot see that their their business practices left a bit to be desired. For me, what they did it absolutely normal.

You cannot expect that everywhere in this world everyone speaks English. Their native language is Basque and they speak Spanish as a second language and probably French as a third language. And you expect them to speak English too. How many languages do you speak?

I do not complain about a restaurant in New York that has no menu in French or German. It is part of travelling experience that you have to deal with other languages.

And after all, you have got a fabulous meal.

And usually, I am very skeptical about restaurants that post menus in English.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM

BTW, "San Seb" is another sign of arrogance. The natives call the city "Donostia".
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:01 AM

Oh my. I totally understand the OP. If, when given the a la carte menus, Spaniards are not informed of or given the menu of the day, ( regardless of the language) then.. it IS deceitful. I doubt they print up the menu of the day there if it was written on a board.

But I think a place of this caliber probably figures if you want the menu of the day, you will ask for it.

Many times we are given the normal menu, and have to request the menu of the day.

I woudn't be so hard on the OP.

The dynamic currency thing looks like it has come this way now, too, in full swing, as I check out the Spain posts.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:02 AM

I meant to say " Spaniards ARE" given the menu of the day.. sorry.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:15 AM

Kotoxa is also recommended in Maribel's PDF guides, not just her Fodor's posts.

In general, I think it is mistake to go the restaurants recommended in Maribel's guides in lieu of sallying forth and eating pintxos in San Sebastian, but people have different tastes.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Echnaton - Not sure why u see my post as arrogant. I never expected nor asked for a menu in English. It was handed to us. I certainly understand and don't ever expect restaurants in any country to have menus in English or speak English and it doesn't matter to me if they do or don't. Actually as I travel even in small towns or villages I am always amazed at how many people have some smattering of English and admire the fact that they do. I'm well aware that the natives refer to the town as Donostia, but this board is not really directed at natives of Donostia, is it?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM

Just to be picky: Natives refer to their city as San Sebastián quite as often as Donostia, but they will all call themselves donostiarras. Basque (euskara) is first language for just a minority of people in the region. Has been a revival of euskara in the past years through the Ikastolas (primary and secondary schools) and universities, but the basque language has not by far got the standing as for example catalan in Catalunya. In San Sebastián the vast majority speak Spanish as their first language and many would only have rudimentary if any knowledge of basque.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...corrected).JPG
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM

I am with you on the "dynamic currency conversion." The same thing happened to me when I was in Italy two weeks ago. Twice, at the better properties I stayed at, I was given the hard sell to pay the bill in USD. It is a total rip off, combination of bad exchange rate and 3% "conveiniece fee."

It would have been OK if the proprieters had just offered the option and let it go after I declined, but they both started arguing with me about it. In one of the instances, after I told the lady I wanted to pay in euros she still rang it up in USD. I had to wait while she reversed the charge and resubmitted in euros (as she grumbled the whole time.) What a scam-- be on the look out for this.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM

The special degustation menu offered by Kokotxa, and nearly every other restaurant in Spain, is designed for the businessmen/women who frequent the place during the week. It’s an incentive for them to return in the evening or on the weekend for lunch or dinner when the menu is not offered. This menu is not a moneymaker for any restaurante, but something that began when the recession set in and is a sample of the chef's top cuisine. We take advantage of it at times, but not all of the time, not when you want to support a great restaurant, or even an average one.

Being offered the "opportunity" to pay in USD has become quite common and driven by the credit card companies and the banks, not the restaurants or other merchants, except perhaps El Corte Inglés. When opting for the less expensive menu the least you could do is consider paying for your meal in cash. This would save the restaurant owner the cost of dealing with the credit card companies and banks, which tag on fees at both ends of the transaction. Many smaller merchants, especially restaurants and mom and pop stores, have to wait weeks before they see the funds deposited into their accounts, which is one reason when we ask for the menu del día, we always pay in cash. Pick up the cash at the nearest ATM before going to lunch, but I would advise avoiding any ATM belonging to the Bank of Santander.
eason when we do the menu del dia, we always pay in cash.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM

I have one question krgystn. Did you argue with them in Spanish, Euskara, French or English? The chef is not fluent in English, neither is his wife, who would have been the woman you referred to.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Robert2533 - Reading krgystn's post I believe she was referring to a place in Italy that was not named. U can save your lectures on cash versus credit cards 4 someone who doesn't understand the inner workings of a small business, thank u very much.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM

The special degustation menu for 45EUR. is something completely different to the Menú del día (menú of the day), which is usually 8 to 12 eur, and is the one intended for businessmen or workers who have to lunch out daily.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:10 AM

I tell you a little story.

Recently, we travelled to the USA and had dinner in a restaurant. Food was great, but their business practices left a bit to be desired.

First, we ordered a menu with wine pairings. The menu said "Champagne with the first course". But we did not get Champagne, we just got a sparkling wine from California.

Second, we ordered Coca-Cola for the kids. The kids were served glasses which were filled with ice and just a little amount of Coca-Cola. They charged a pretty steep price for a drink that consisted mostly of crushed ice!

Third, I ordered Rocky Mountain oysters. However, I was not served oysters but something different...

Fourth, when we were handed the check, there was an unpleasant surprise. The menu listed clear prices, but the total bill added 8% sales tax and 18% service charge. So, the final sum was 26% higher than the figures on the menu!

Conclusion: The restaurant deliberately deceives its customers, as least those from Europe.

You get the message?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM

Really friends- sometimes reading responses I wonder if the poster is writing just to be rude, pompous or put someone down, rather than convey useful information or politely express an opinion. As you would have people err on the side of local citizens, perhaps it would be good to err on the assumption that OPs understand that they are reporting only on their own experiences and observations, without intended malice. A little civility more would add to the charm of the board.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM

Echnaton,

Your description is of naive travelers. The ones posting are not naive. We understand things are done differently in different places.

The menu thing is par. These things happen. I feel sorry for you if you don't go anywhere with English menus, as they are becoming much more common even in non-tourist places. My experience has been that they see I speak English, and give me the menu without me asking. This is the OP's experience. They did not EXPECT an English menu.

But the dynamic currency thing is a complete rip off. I would not return to a place that even offered it, and I'd tell them so. This has nothing to do with the scenario you described for us.

So, no, your message is lost in translation.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM

OP wrote that the restaurant "deliberately deceive its customers", just because they did not have the degustation menu translated to English. I consider this pretty malicious. In fact, it is trade libel, and under European law, this post would be considered a felony.

Lounge etiquette requires to choose your words a little more carefully.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

The intent of my post was not to be malcious or libelous. traveller1959, u left out a portion of my statement. I wrote "that <B>appeared </B> to deliberately deceive" -- my impression - it was an observation not an unequivocal statement. I did not state that the degustation menu should have been translated into English. I said that it was not offered to us and the reason given was that it was not in English. If u r going to make accusations, please quote accurately and chose your words a little more carefully.

ilana25841 & christycruz, thanks for appearing to understand my post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -