GREAT Concorde links on BBC!

Oct 24th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

GREAT Concorde links on BBC!

Hello Everyone,

If you're interested in the Concorde, be sure to check out the great information on the bbc.co.uk homepage. They've got an interactive part of the page where you can click and see various items throughout the plane that is accompanied by audio commentary.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ml/default.stm

History on the Concorde can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...nt/default.stm

Live coverage of the final flight will be shown on BBC 2 Television today from 3:30-4:30 p.m., which I would think would be repeated.

Enjoy!
Tim
Oct 24th, 2003, 05:40 AM

A sad day today. There's been a lot of talk on British TV today about how we're retiring Concorde and yet the rest of civil aviation hasn't moved on - there should be something to replace it.
Oct 24th, 2003, 05:52 AM
AllyPally

Thanks BMF - I'm tuning in now. It is such a sad day! Every day it flies past my flat. I have my digital camera so either some shots or some film from the roof of my work building. I'll probably be so nervous that I'll completely screw it up!! It's quite a nice day here in London so fingers crossed!!!!

Oct 24th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I had never seen the Concorde flying, living nowhere near any of the American airports from which it flew. When I was in England for the summer a couple of years ago, each morning, I could hear it when it passed over the place where we were staying. The sound just went on and on for several minutes. But I never roused myself out of bed to see it. One evening, we were at my cousin's house and it flew over, lit by the lowering sun, glinting as it moved through the air, elegant in all its glory against the early evening blue sky. I was in awe of the plane and glad that I had the chance to see it in flight.
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:11 AM
AllyPally

Thank you for your very poetic description Fairfax. Ever since I've lived in London, I have always run to the window to see it fly over. My BF thinks i'm a nut. But for me, it is an elegant bird and I never tired of watching it float past my window. You could hear before you saw it. People all over London stop and watch it fly over: in the streets, in the parks. It is awe inspiring. I'm glad you got to see it!

Oct 24th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Ally. I just remember being so excited to watch it go over, and pointing it out to my American nieces & nephews. I was about 39 at the time, and couldn't decide whether i was being silly being that amazed by the plane.

A friend of mine, for her 40th b-day, was taken on a trip to Paris on the Concorde, from London. Apparently, they wined and dined you, got you up to supersonic speed and then landed you in Paris. (Can't remember if they came back that way, too!). What a brilliant present.
Oct 24th, 2003, 06:02 PM

I was lucky enough to see her several times going to and from airports. Such an elegant lady! Did you ever notice that hint of a smile when you looked at her head on? The Mona Lisa of the air...let's hope she will be remembered fondly and for any many years.

Search this Thread