Gratis Wine / AA - Delta?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:44 AM
brah

Gratis Wine / AA - Delta?

My friend just returned to Rome from US on Delta. He said that the free wine no longer existed and that the little bottles were $4.00 each. I am wondering if AA has followed this trend also? If so, I would like to carry a 6 pack of small bottles for my husband and I (who like our wine quite well!) if this would go through security. Any first-hand knowledge of this?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:59 AM
x

Brah I brought a small bottle of white wine on AA once. I got chewed out by a flight attendant saying that they have to open it for me or something. Apparantly there is some sort of law.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:59 AM
xxx

You can afford to go to Europe, but you can't afford a couple of $4.00 wines so you want to sneak your own on? Has anyone ever met anyone cheaper than this?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:03 AM
yyy

To xxx,

$4.00 for cheap wine is not worth it if you can bring your own better wine on.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:10 AM
x

AA used to serve any alcohol brought on by passesngers (usually cheerfully) but the rule changed and you may no longer consume alcohol you brought on board. Unfortunately, the wine they sell is not very good but you don't have a choice.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:27 AM
xxx

The only problem with your statement, yyy, is that brah was talking about smuggling on a 6 pack of little bottles of wine -- that doesn't exactly sound like fine wine to me.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:33 AM
yyy

xxx, you are correct, I missed that about the 6 pack in the OP's post. Sorry.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Christina

I think it's the money for brah, and i guess if you down a 6pack, that might make sense -- why pay $24 for wine when you can buy it for $10 or so, as long as you aren't burdened.

That's the same junk they serve on BA -- my last flight, they were serving those little wine bottles with screw caps from some 3rd rate California vineyard, it was swill. I was surprised BA had California wines, there are a lot better cheap Australian wines, for example, IMO (especially whites).

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Wino

Anybody know if Lufthansa still serves free spirits, wine/beer? I need something to get me to sleep on those overnight flights.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Dee

Wino,

My last flight on Lufthansa was June, 02 and all the spirits were offered free of charge.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Wendy

AA is charging $4 and it isn't a great wine, but it wasn't as bad as I've ever had either...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Therese

Free or not, the wine served (or sold) in coach is generally disgusting, whether it comes from California, France, or Australia. I stick to beer (if there's a decent one on offer) or distilled spirits.

Actually, offering decent wine would be a means for the airlines to actually MAKE money. Airlines deliberately chose terrible wines back when they were giving it away precisely so that they'd have to give less of it away (and because it was cheaper per unit).

I routinely pay $6 to $9 for a nice glass of wine in a restaurant, and would be happy to do so on a flight. Now if they'd just be willing to sell me a decent meal...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:23 PM
xxx

Not only is the red wine cheap, but they serve it ice cold! Dios mio...

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Jim

Is alcohol that important to you that you can't go for 6-10 hours without it? I can understand enjoying wine with a good meal, but on an airplane with airline food? Why not wait until you get to your destination, Mr. Coholic?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Judy

I like Alice White(Australian) chardonnay in the small bottles. If Delta charges for their wine, I will bring my Alice White minis. 4$ for mediocre wine is ridiculous. I do like wine with my fab airline dinner, make it more palatable IMO. Judy

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Wendy

Therese,

Now THAT's THINKING! You're hired.

Can you imagine a really good Bordeaux or Pinot Noir on the way over?

Wen

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:51 PM
xxx

Well there is this new medical evidence that conclusively shows that moderate drinking at regular intervals is good for the heart.....so I would hate to think I have to pay to protect my heart when I can go on VS or BA and take my heart medicine for free.