Reload this Page >

Grandpa's request from Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Marie

I am going to Italy this year and my Grandpa wants me to bring back some land or rock or pebbles from the "old country". We are planning to visit where his family lived and could easily pick up a rock or two, or some red dirt that he remembers. But can I bring it back to the USA? Hiding it in my luggage could arouse suspicions. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:30 AM
kelly

I don't really see what suspicions it would arouse. I have often brought back rocks or sand from trips and never thought twice about it. Just do it and if questioned just tell they why you brought it. The worst that would happen is they take it. I think its a sweet thing to do for your Grandpa.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Tina

Why not? I do that. Maybe I'm weird, but I like to bring back a "piece" of country. Usually it's from beach areas. Have stones that I picked up in Monterosso and Positano. Unless you're planning on dragging back a major boulder, I don't see this as a problem. Would make sure to place in your checked baggage.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Marie

I was thinking about the papers you fill out on the plane about bringing in things from foreign countries; food, etc. I thought they ask about soil, am I wrong? I can try it in checked luggage but don't want to be fined, searched or whatever the penalities are.<BR>Thanks for your ideas.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:15 AM
kelly

I bring a rock back from every place I visit. Of course, I try to bring back small rocks and I wash them of all dirt. If I remember correctly, there is nothing about rocks on the forbidden list. I would just pack them in your checked baggage. They might be considered a weapon in your carry-on. Who knows.<BR><BR>I keep my collection on the windowsill over my kitchen sink so I can daydream about all the places I've been while I do one of my least favorite things - wash dishes.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Sally

Kelly, do you mark them or do you just remember where they are from? I think this is a great idea, how about sand?<BR>A whole new travel souvenir plan and the price is right!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Santa Chiara

I am a grubby rock hound and seashell collector (not a connoisseur just a magpie), and I travel back to the U.S. up to five times a year and have yet to have anything searched. Since this is understandably important to your grandfather, the least you could do is bring a rock or pebble, or put some dirt in a glass jar. Buon fortuna.<BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:31 AM
mimi taylor

I always bring stones home from my travels. One year I was stopped at customs. Something in a rock from the Pont de Gard set off something but after they looked through my luggage they laughed and said something I didn't understand completely but it was the rock that caused them to search.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Marie

Well, good, now that I know you trusted people do it, I will too. I'll bring back a baggie with soil and pebbles and a nice rock. Thanks.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:31 PM
kelly

I don't mark them, but I try to bring back rocks that are distinctive in one way or another -- like a pinkish one from Bermuda, one that looks like (or could be) part of the concrete from some ruins in Normandy, etc. Maybe I'll get confused over the years and forget which is which, but I don't want to label them. <BR><BR>A neighbor of mine in her 90s has rocks from all over the world in her garden. I doubt she remembers where they're all from, but she loved to show them off, and they bring back such good memories I am sure!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:46 PM
xxxx

How about some chips from Pompeii? Or from the Roman ruins. No one will mind I am sure. Joking.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Kelly

I know you are kidding, but that is something I was paranoid about. I would never ever intentionally take a piece of a building or ruin -- it just so happened that I picked up a little "rock" on the Pont du Hoc beach and when I brought it home my grandfather (who was on those beaches D-Day +1) he told me it was a piece of concrete. lol. Maybe I took home part of the parking lot.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:04 PM
kelly

the last couple posts reminded me of something that happened when I was just in Tunisia in Dec... I was visiting the ruins in Carthage, it was my first day in Tunisia. Some older man was attempting to guide me around the ruins even though I had told him I didn't want a guide. While walking around he stopped and picked up a little square piece of tile, gave it to me and said it was legal for me to take it. Fast forward a bit, guide guy is gone and I just got in a bit of trouble for accidently taking a photo of the presidental palace. After talking my way out of that mess, I decided to toss the little piece of tile as I was paranoid someone would end up asking me about it and I would get in trouble for that too!!!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 03:12 PM
S@L

I read a book once about a woman who was thrown in a Turkish jail because she unknowingly bought a piece of pottery from a tender in an arch. site in Turkey. She thought it was a piece of pottery and it was, but ancient pottery. It took her months to be released.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 03:42 PM
A regular here

I don't have any personal experience to offer here but I'm amazed at the number of people, just today, who have replied that they bring home rocks and dirt from vacations! This forum surely is the place to have *any* question answered and in a timely fashion no less. Who'd have known so many people were carting back home a literal piece of the old country?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Felina

Now when people sarcastically ask when they lift my luggage "what have you got in here, rocks?" I can say "why, yes, I do, a little piece of my ancestor's land".<BR>Thanks for the great ideas, like regular, who would have thought?<BR>Now I am sorry I didn't bring back rocks or dirt from places I know I will not get back to.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 04:28 PM
ja

This is what I love about this BB - you can find out who shares your quirks! I honestly thought I was wierd because I brought back a rock or two from every place I visited and every new trail I hiked - now I find that I'm in excellent company. Being a tad O.C., I put a teensy-weensy paper sticker with a number on it on the bottom of each rock, and I have a little notebook where I have the rocks indexed, with the place, trail(if applicable), and the date.<BR>ja

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:04 PM
mimi taylor

Ja, you are so organized about that. I keep some of the smaller ones, I try to find egg shaped ones) in a wooden container and some of the bigger ones in my little garden. Since I can't afford to live in France, I bring a bit of it here.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 06:38 PM
jan

I have a lovely collection of "rocks" which are really tumbled tiles and glass, from the shores of the Ionian Sea. In a spot where may grandfather may have walked as a youth. They are displayed in a basket and have prompted some great discussions, especially at the imaginings of how ancient they might be, or their origins.<BR><BR>The only "trouble" I received was being stopped by the local polizia, with paddle in hand and a sly smile each on he and his partner's face, as my rather attractive female cousin and myself(I'm also a rather attractive female, pardon me) made our way up from the beach. He asked what we had in our stuffed pockets, and when I pulled out rocks and tried to find the word for souvenir(which, as it turns out, is just 'souvenir', though he played dumb), he gave us a hard time, all the while flirting like mad. Then the mommies, uncle, brother, also made their way up from the beach, and the polizia turned red(yes, Italian men CAN get embarrassed), and hastily left us with our treasures. <BR><BR>A fond memory.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 06:44 PM
ja

Great story, Jan! One you'll remember forever.<BR>ja

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -