Grande Vitesse vs TGV?

Search

Grande Vitesse vs TGV?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2022, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grande Vitesse vs TGV?

Searching for train reservations from Charles de Gaulle airport to Lyon and I see two trains that each take the same amount of time (2 hours) but one is MUCH cheaper than the other and is called Grande Vitesse as opposed to TGV. I'm not asking for a translation of the words; I am wondering if there is any substantive difference. I'm confused by the extreme difference in price but no difference in amount of time. I like the lower price but. . .
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Also how hard is it to book TGV trains on the spot?

My companion and myself are planning to take a risk a book a train from CDG to Lyon that "only" (?) gives us 2 hours to get thru customs and find the train. If we do miss it, will we be completely screwed or would we be likely to be able to book another train quickly?
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 01:11 PM

We faced the same situation a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, Covid cancelled our plans.

There seems to be about 6 departures after 9:58. We purchased tickets 3 months in advance for 2 different departure times - one 2 1/2 hrs after arrival & another 4 1/2 hrs after arrival. I never assume I can purchase them upon arrival at CDG.

Two hours is quite optimistic.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 04:08 PM

GrandVitesse offers less amenities - e.g., no cafe car.

Most fares allow you to do a same day change for a small fee, like €10. Read the terms on the fare you are choosing.

Agree two hours is rather optimistic. Could happen if everything aligns perfectly but I'd not bank on it, especially if you have to retrieve checked bags. There are several daily departures so you should be OK but I'd book at least three hours after scheduled arrival.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 04:21 PM

""Most fares allow you to do a same day change for a small fee, like €10.""

Have you ever done that? Aside form the availability of seats on the next departure, there were some "obstacles" that I did not want to deal with when I read the conditions. Don't remember what they were, and it's cocktail time here now & I don't want to look up the conditions now.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 04:58 PM

Stu - yes, had to do this one time a few years ago. Really was not a big deal, just had to wait in line a few minutes.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Seamus
Stu - yes, had to do this one time a few years ago. Really was not a big deal, just had to wait in line a few minutes.
Thanks

Stu Dudley