Reload this Page >

Grand Canal View

Search

Grand Canal View

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Victor

Grand Canal View

We have a choice of a tiny room at the Galleria Hotel with a view of the Grand Canal, or a larger nicer room at Locando Leon Bianco with a view of the small canal. <BR>Don't know which to do. Is the view of the grand canal worth it?

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:44 PM
vic

I also heard that it was really noisy at the Galleria and that does not make for a romantic setting.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Larry

Victor, it depends on how much you "use" the room. We really enjoyed the view and it is conveniently located. <BR>However, we left immmediately after breakfast, returned in time to clean up for dinner and then back to sleep. We were only there two nights so if you will be longer, I would probably go for the larger room - next time we will go for a little bit bigger room. Did you get photos?

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:56 PM
vic

yes, I did get the photos. Thank you. We are also staying for 2 nights, but I want to make sure that we are in a nice place for those 2 nights. Is the view that good? and is the noise really bad. If so where would you stay the next time?

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Larry

Victor, I do not remember you mentioning "romantic" - the Galleria is not, in my opinion. You might want to do a new post - Romantic Hotels in Venice??

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:59 PM
vic

will do. thanks.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Larry

Hi, Victor, <BR> <BR>We discussed this topic over cocktails tonight - Wife said it all depends on where you are at "romantically" - newly wed, old timer, anniversary, etc.. It *was* very romantic sitting on the window sill, sipping wine and looking out on the Grand Canal- guess it depends on your definition of romantic and how much you want to pay - I am sure the Cipriani is *very* romantic but also expensive. Newly weds probably don't want to sit on the window sill overlooking the Grand Canal - like they would know!! so the definite answer is "it all depends". Here is a paste from someone else about the Galleria: <BR> <BR> <BR>I just returned from Italy a couple weeks ago. I was very pleased with the <BR>Hotel Galleria. My room was narrow and no frills, but had a big comfortable <BR>double bed, the view out onto the canal was wonderful, the staff helpful, and <BR>the location could NOT have been better. I was very happy there for my four <BR>days in Venice. <BR> <BR>As Rex frequently says and I paraphrase, "it all depends on your interests and what you want". To us, the Grand Canal was magical but .....

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:42 PM
sandi

I didn't think that the Leon Bianco had any small canal views..only Grand Canal or a funky alleyway. I thought that the price at Leon Bianco was really good comparatively and the view of the Grand Canal was very spectacular. Where ever you stay it will me magic..you'll be in Venice!!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Larry

Reandi, <BR> <BR>It is really difficult to portray "magic" isn't it? Nobody could understand a sleeping bag on the Accademia Bridge if they had not been there!! Not advocating that but how can you tell anyone "magical" ? One of those, you had to have been there??

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:37 AM
carol

Victor--Tiny in Italy is twice as small as anything you imagine in the US. By all means take the larger, nicer room, you won't regret it. Besides, after your incredibly romantic late night gondola ride, won't you want to come back to a lovely comfy room?

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:34 AM
vic

No honeymoon. We did that in Greece 2 years ago(It was perfect). Well, after much reading and thought, I admit I am confused.I am not into paying a lot to stay and the Locando leon Bianco is moderate. I would like to "hang my feet" over the Grand Canal, but if the noise is unsettling then it might be better to go with the other. Leaning towards Galleria. As someone said its Venice so it will special wherever we go.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:52 PM
sandi

Vic, <BR> <BR>Obviously, stay where you want..but...we even slept w/ the windows open (onto the G.Canal) and there was no noise problem at all. Just fyi.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Kimerley

I have booked a triple room with canal views at the Galleria! Hope it is one of their bigger rooms!!!!