Granada Hotels

Jul 15th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Myer

Granada Hotels

Has anyone stayed at the following in Granada?
Tryp Albayzin
Saray
Triunfo Granada
Inglaterra
Reina Cristina

Interested in location and quality. Thanks.
Any other suggestions?

Sep 10th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Lori

I'm interested in any comments about the Saray. Most of the hotels in Granada seem to be booked up when we'll be there.

Anybody?

Sep 11th, 2001, 03:38 AM
Julie

We had an absolutely terrible time finding the Reina Christina (drove around for a long time following signs, then lost them, then picked them up again just as we were about to give up and then couldn't figure out where to park). Traffic is awful in the center of Granada. That said, the hotel itself was fine. Nothing special but ok and very centrally located, near the cathedral. It has a nice two storey hanging garden in the lobby area. Rooms were small but clean. Uncarpeted wood floors. Location is its best feature--once you find it.

Sep 17th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Carmen

Hi, I stay exactly one year ago in the Alhambra Palace Hotel, it is just outside of the Alhambra - wonderful location, and there are little bus shuttles that come by every 20 mins approx. so you can get around everywhere like that. If you don't stay there, maybe you could just go for a drink on their balcony there - it has great views. Also, be sure to ask where the 'look out point' is - I cant remember the name, but you catch the little shuttle bus to it - it is at the top of a hill overlooking across to the Alhambra, you go there at sunset time and it is magical!

Oct 5th, 2001, 10:22 AM
JP

Hi there,

I would second the motion to stay at a hotel near the alhambra - it's away from the city centre and far more relaxing.

We just stayed at Hotel America which is WITHIN the walls of the alhambra. it was incredible!

the shuttle bus is so easy or even a cab. a cab - split between 4 - was actually cheaper than the bus to get down to the centre.

let me know if you'd like more info.
JP

Oct 7th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Krista

I stayed at the Inglaterra in 1997. The description in the Fodors book had me a little scared- "for those who enjoy old world charm to creature comforts." However, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know which creature comforts they thought the hotel was lacking, but I found MORE than I expected. The hotel is in a very convenient part of town. Across the street from the cathedral and just a short walk to the Alhambra. As a previous poster said, parking and driving in the city center is just downright crazy, but I enjoy staying in the "thick of things". Anyway the hotel had recently been painted. The inside corridors were painted in very faint pastel colors. Our room had 2 double beds, 2 phone lines, a TV, and balcony. It looked extremely clean and brand new, not at all shabby. The breakfast room is real pretty, too. They charged extra for the breakfast, but it was worth it. They also had us park our car right across the street, inside a garage. (we didn't need to use it at all while we were there-attractions and restaurants just steps away)

All in all, I would absolutely recommend the Inglaterra and would stay there myself again if ever given the opportunity.

Have fun.

Oct 7th, 2001, 01:58 PM
mclankenau

I stayed at the Reina C. in May. It was fine, but we, too, had a terrible time finding the place. Four weeks on the road in France and Spain, and driving around Granada looking for that hotel was our worst driving experience! We finally just parked and went looking for the hotel by foot - then went back and got the car!
The rooms were very small, but clean, and the staff was very nice.
We tried to stay at the Hotel America, but they were booked. Checked it out when we were there, and definitely rec. it.

Oct 7th, 2001, 04:05 PM
lisa

I didn't stay at any of these places while in Granada, but I second the recommendation to stay "in town" as opposed to near the Alhambra. We stayed at a hotel in the center of town (whose name escapes me) -- it was nothing special, but we enjoyed being walking distance to shops, restaurants, all major attractions, except the Alhambra. I think if you stayed near there, you would want to taxi to bars/restaurants since it would be a long, creepy walk at night (we're NY'ers and not particularly faint of heart, but are wary of easy mugging opportunities). It is easy to take a bus or cab to the Alhambra for your one visit there (we enjoyed lunch at the hotel there) and then walk back (downhill) via the Albacin to Plaza Nueva. Again, it's just not a walk I think you'd enjoy at night.

Enjoy Granada -- it was our favorite city of our honeymoon visit to Spain.

Oct 20th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Doug

I have to agree with JP-- the Hotel America is a great little inn, right next to the Alhambra Palace, but more quaint. At the same time, I would disagree with mclankenau, my wife and I walked from the Alhambra to the city without incident, and would do so again readily. It's just that the hill is steep walking back. Have a great time!