Search

granada

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2000, 11:46 AM
olga

granada

another question: In Granada: is Washington Irving any good? and how is Anacapri?

Old May 12th, 2000, 06:36 PM
julie

Yes, we have stayed at the Washington Irving, as recently as past March. It is not fancy, has no dining facilities, except for breakfast, but rooms are clean and it is a good proximity to the Alhambra. We thought it a good value. Parking, if you drive, is a little walk, but you are just accross street from Alhambra. I'd go for it. Price is right, as opposed to the Parador, which is lovely but pricy, IF you can get in. You can always eat at the Parador, which is what we did.

Old May 17th, 2000, 04:14 PM
janet

We stayed at the Hotel America which is within the gates of the Alhambraand was the highlight of our 16 day trip. It's small and quaint without alot of frills, but very nice. I highly reccommend it.

Old May 17th, 2000, 08:24 PM
olga

America is booked, that was our first choice, so now we are looking for alternatives...

Old May 18th, 2000, 08:38 PM
graziella

Hi Olga, we have stayed in different locations in Granada, including the America,....after all these experiences I would stay next time down the hill,( where the Alhambra is located) in the Albaicin . <BR>There is a little bus that goes up and down the hill every 15',... there is so much to do in the city ( down the hill) <BR>it is a charming city. <BR>The Alhambra is absolutely beautiful and at least a full day should be spent there <BR>( be sure to make reservations for visiting the Royal Palaces of the Alhambra,I also recommend renting the audio) , you can take the bus up the hill for the visit. Buena suerte. By the way the Hotel Marcia ( I believe this is the right name, is ok) and cheaper than the America. <BR>If you wish you can make reservations for lunch at the America, or at The Parador which is next door. <BR>If I were you I would honestly forget the W.Irving.

Old May 19th, 2000, 05:35 AM
olga

Thanks, everybody, your advice is very helpful... <BR>Graziella, I was already leaning towards staying down the hill, so we will follow your advice. How do I make reservations for the Royal Palace? <BR>

Old May 19th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Margo

WASHINGTON IRVING: Paseo del Generalife 2, 18009. Tel: 227550. Fax: 228840. (68 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) Suites also available. Breakfast at 800 ptas pp & can be served in the rm. Visa, MC, AX. English spoken, direct-dial phone, pleasant old-fashioned hotel w/large simple rms., some rms. can be on the dark side, most rooms w/balconies, bar, restaurant, elevator, 3 flrs. From the train station, walk down Avenida Andaluces, turn right onto Avenida de la Constitucion, continue through to Gran Via de Colon, turn left onto Calle Reyes Catolicos to Plaza Nueva, make right turn on Calle Cuesta de Gomérez, continue straight up Calle Cuesta de Gomérez and you'll pass by the hotel. I recommend taking a taxi. <BR> <BR>MACIA: Plaza Nueva 4, 18010. Tel: 227535/227536. Fax: 227533. (44 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) Buffet breakfast (8-10:30am) at 700 ptas pp & can be served in the rm. Children under 2 free. Visa, MC, AX, DC. English spoken, direct-dial phone, TV, classy picturesque hotel w/modern renovated light airy comfortable rms. & marble flrs., #01 & 02 are the best, 8 rms. w/terraces overlooking the square, air-conditioned, elevator, 4 flrs. Fabulous location in the Plaza Nueva. Directions: Look under hotel Austria. Same family manages the hotels Condor & Gran Via. <BR> <BR>

Old May 19th, 2000, 02:39 PM
graziella

Hi Olga, I am glad I read again this posting, <BR> You can buy the tickets for the Casa Real ( Royal Palace) of the Alhambra through any Banco Bilbao Vizcaya in the world. <BR>I take my hat to the way they organized this, you go to any BV bank and they will sell you the tickets with the reserved admitance to the Casa Real. Of course they print them out on line. <BR>THe tickets have several parts: <BR>the Casa Real, the Generalife, the Alcazaba etc. A limited number of people are allowed into the palace every half hour so you must have a reserved ticket to go there. You can visit the other places any day at any time. <BR>I am glad you are going to stay down in the city of Granada, which is so quaint and full of life. <BR>If you have time do not miss the 11 AM <BR>guided tour of the Alhambra Museum, just opened in 1997 and devoted to islamic art. Our guide <BR>( we were a total of 4 persons) was a retired professor from the University of Granada and her tour was fascinating...we do speak Spanish, I was wondering if you also speak Spanish???. <BR>? <BR>As I said we stayed in the famous and in my opinion over rated America, the court yard is nice for a pleasant home made food lunch but that is all.... <BR>From the Plaza Nueva ( down the hill= <BR>Cuesta de Gomez) you can take the little bus to the Alhambra or for a couple of dollars a taxi.For a spectacular view , you can return to town from the opposite side of the Alhambra hill, pass through <BR>the elm groves toward the ocher-red Hotel Alhmbra Palace. <BR>Also rent the audio. Do it early in the day because often they run out of them. <BR> .Please , let me know how you liked it after all. <BR> <BR>Buena suerte. <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 2000, 06:23 AM
olga

Graziella, <BR>thanks a lot! Very thoughtful advice. Unfortunately, we don't speak Spanish; our daghters have been taking Spanish at school, but I don't think they are fluent. It is terrible not to understand the language of the country you are going to visit. I speak French and can appreciate the difference when you can speak the language of the land. The crush Spanish course on tapes that I have been listening to will not be sufficient in any way. <BR>Graziella, one more question: do you mean we can buy those tickets for example in Sevilla, which is our first big city stop? You mention on line - do they have a site to reserve on internet? <BR>Thanks again.

Old May 21st, 2000, 08:58 AM
graziella

Hi Olga, <BR>Yes you can, we bought our tickets at the VB Bank at Ronda. I do not know if you can do it on line, I don t think so,.... it is the bank clerk who gets in line and you pay him. <BR>Have a great trip. If you have any other question send me an e mail directly I shall be very pleased to tell you what I know, ... <BR>When you come back please let me know how was your trip , we are planning to go to Spain and Portugal again next Spring I am sure that you will be able to give me a lot of good advise ... <BR>To visit the ALhambra I would alocate a full day, making reservations for a nice lunch either at the Parador or at the America. Also I shall take a taxi early in the morning getting there before the crowds arrive. <BR>Bon Voyage.