Old Aug 14th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gps

Do I need a gps in Croatia. What brand?
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 04:19 PM
kja

Many of us traveled Croatia without a GPS, but I wouldn't do it now that I have a GPS system. ;-) I'm not sure that any particular brand is better for Croatia than any other -- you might want to choose the brand that best suits any other purpose to which you would put it.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 04:21 PM

For what? Driving? Where?

I drove in Croatia in May. I took my Garmin GPS, and I had bought the most recent 2015 Garmin map microSD for it (bought the map card on eBay for $25 USD). It worked reasonably well. (I also drove into Bosnia, where it worked but was much less accurate, not surprisingly.)

Next time, I will probably take my new Android phone with me and use that as a GPS, with a local SIM card, and just use Google Maps to navigate. On my last trip, I used T-Mobile US to roam with free data in Croatia - worked fine except my data was only 2G so probably too slow for GPS navigation (especially on the slow phone I had then). I had great T-Mobile reception all over Croatia, though - I'll probably buy a Croatian T-Mobile SIM next time.

If you are driving on mostly the main roads - the A1 freeway is super simple - you probably don't need a GPS. I drove in 2009 there without one, from Zagreb to Plitvice to Mostar to Dubrovnik, and I got by just fine without any GPS.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 12:09 AM

Alternatively, if you don't have T-Mobile you can download maps to your smartphone before leaving home and use those with the appropriate app (Here for instance but there are others - search your store) for navigation without the need of a separate GPS device or a data connection.
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM

We got a free GPS with our rental through AutoEurope. It was very helpful, but we did have one mishap. After visiting Groznjan in Istria, we headed for Ljubljana. When we got to the Slovenian border, the official looked at our passports and said, "Americans. You can't go through." We laughed, but he wasn't kidding. The border crossing was for locals only. I guess the GPS didn't know that.

I would recommend using a GPS and maps.