Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Goring, Rembrandt, or Rubens Hotel In London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 12:45 PM
katiec

My husband & I are planning a trip to London over Thanksgiving. Would anoyone have any information on the above hotels as to room size, prices, services, and whether its in a good location for a first time visitors?

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 07:07 PM
Lola

Don't know the other two hotels, but as I've mentioned on this site before, I just adore the Goring. The service is exceptional! Rooms charming, location excellent--walk to Buckingham Palace, St. Jame's park, shopping (tho not the trendiest). It is the quintessential London small hotel: elegant, friendly, historic.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 05:02 AM
kathy

Katiec, we stayed at Rubens several years ago and I remember the rooms being extremely small - clean but small. Great location though - within walking distance to most sites. Although we didn't know it at the time, for a small increase, breakfast can be included in the price. The breakfast buffet was good and plentiful and where I was introduced to prunes & apricots for the first time.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 07:01 AM
s.fowler

I stayed at the Goring many years ago when I was travelling with my parents. It is rather expensive. But being served you breakfast by waiter in tails was a rather interesting experience

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 10:42 AM
Kay

I love the Goring! If you can afford to stay there, do it! It's turn of the century English, quirky, charming, elegant, greatest cup of tea I've had in my life and you expect to see Mary Poppins flying over the irregular rooftop with her umbrella any minute. Super location, too.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 01:53 PM
Angela Tadey

I've stayed at the Rembandt and found it to be extremely charming. It's reasonable for a hotel in South Kensington which is a posh area of town. It's also near the South Kensington tube stop and across the street from the Victoria & Albert museum. The rooms are about the size of a typical American hotel, depending where you stay and they offer a very nice English breakfeast in the morning. I believe that they offer a special rate through American Airlines so you may want to check that out. E-mail me if you have any other questions and I would be more than happy to help.